PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Booting to XP makes Ubuntu loose connection on reboot

Ursa
December 17th, 2008, 10:46 PM
If I boot once to windows XP, I loose connection in Ubuntu. It sometimes return if I reboot to XP and then reboot to Ubuntu, then it may disappear after a while.
The network manager in the tray says that I'm connected and everyhing is fine, for some reason.

I think it might be the dynamic IP, but it's like a hunch or something :P

My other thought is that Windows is programmed to sabotage Ubuntu, and then mask the attempt by fixing it again. This thought is less serious.

I'm in XP right now, unable to connect to internet in Ubuntu.

Ursa
December 18th, 2008, 02:28 AM
It sometimes return if I reboot to XP and then reboot to Ubuntu

Scratch that, it always start working again after I do that, but it drops after a while, maybe an hour or so.

It usually works as it should after I've had a good night's sleep (keeps working through the day and don't stop working after an hour), until I boot to windows that is.

I'm puzzled.

Iowan
December 18th, 2008, 02:58 AM
A version or two ago, there was a thread about an ethernet card that didn't work well when booting to Ubuntu from Windows unless powered down first. Apparently the Windows driver somehow didn't turn loose.

Ursa
December 18th, 2008, 10:43 AM
That sounds very much like my problem.

That must be why it works after a good night's sleep; I turn the computer off!

I'll search for Ethernet card problems then, if someone knows more about this feel free to point me in the right direction or more.

Thanks for your help.