PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] system mismatch

LinnetLegs
December 17th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I am trying to reinstall Vista from my recovery disk and it seems like it is going through the motions until I get an error code saying system mismatch.

I am very happy with what I have seen in ubuntu but I wanted to continue using MS office 2007. I have failed miserably trying to get it to run with ubuntu. The main reason for 'needing' MS Office is I am nearing the end of my masters and am comfortable using it.

One reason I want to continue to use ubuntu is the level and speed of support that is offered in this forum which is freely given with no pre-conditions.

My questions are:

1. Does open office offer me everything MS office does?
2. Why can't I reinstall Vista?

I am still a novice user and not very experienced with computers in general, so be gentle ;)

ps - I also need to share word files with fellow students and work colleagues

chrisod
December 17th, 2008, 09:34 PM
System mismatch sounds like Vista thinks you are installing it on a different machine. The rescue disks that come with pre-installed Vista are tied to the machine I believe. Are you installing it on a different physical machine?

Open Office is an office productivity suite. Office 2007 is an office productivity suite. They are not the same program. They provide most of the same functions although not always in exactly the same manner. If you are a graduate student I would expect you to be smart enough to handle the learning curve on the differences, but ultimately that is up to you. I can't think of anything involved with writing a dissertation that would be a show stopper for Open Office, but then I stopped after my masters degree so I never had to write a dissertation :)

LinnetLegs
December 17th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I am trying to reinstall on the same machine.

But your comments on both office suites have been noted. Perhaps I am still grieving for windows lol

I am progressing toward acceptance ;)