PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where is "check_nrpe" in ubuntu?

bobber205
December 17th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I ran sudo apt-get install nagios-nrpe-plugins

and it completed successfully. But for the life of me I can find the binary to run... :(

swiftone
July 7th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Has anyone figured this out? In most examples it instructs to test the nrpe plugin by running the following:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 192.168.1.3

However, I cannot find the check_nrpe in ubuntu.

cariboo907
July 7th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Open an Applications-->Accessories-->Terminal and type:

locate check_nrpe

it should give you the location of the file.

KOld Iron
August 6th, 2009, 07:44 PM
You may have figured it out yourself meanwhile, but here the solution anyways (for others maybe then to read).

I just started playing around with Nagios myself a few days ago. To make my life easier (since I am still not so knowledgable about Linux), I have installed Nagios using the provided packages.

Unfortunately the package maintainer decided to use a different directory structure than the one described in the installation tutorial using the manual compilation. Even more unfortunate almost all tutorials in the internet and even some of the plugins are referring to the structure created by the manual installation. So meanwhile I tend to agree with another poster in one of the other threads, that it is even (or especially) for beginners better to also go the manual way of doing things.

To answer your question: First you may need to do

# updatedb

before

# located check_nrpe

will yield the desired result, i.e. /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe and /etc/nagios-plugins/check_nrpe.cfg (for the config file)

P.S.: I have tried to install Centreon after Nagios and it assumes the old structure as well, so it becomes very difficult to get it working (have not been successful yet)

slakkie
August 6th, 2009, 08:27 PM
dpkg -L $package_name | grep check_nrpe

or, asuming it is in your path: which check_nrpe..

or find.

apt-file search check_nrpe
nagios-nrpe-plugin: /etc/nagios-plugins/config/check_nrpe.cfg
nagios-nrpe-plugin: /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe