PDA

View Full Version : 185 W PS, can this support 2 tuners + video card

rs165
December 17th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I have a small form factor PC with a 185 W power supply that I would like to use as a combined frontend/backend system; however I feel that putting it together (2.4 GHz Celeron processor, 2x 256 DDR SDRAM, fan, Nvidia GF 5500, DVD-Rom, and 2 X Hauppauge tuners) will be cutting it pretty close in terms of energy consumption. Do you think this would work, or should I use a separate backend and keep the SFF PC as a front end? Of note, this will save me having to build an acrylic top to the system.

☺AMG☻
December 17th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Don't quote me on it, but I think you will be fine so long as you are careful.
50 watts for cpu
50 watts for MOBO and general devices
30 watts for Graphics card
40 watts for 2 tv tuners
10 watts for dvd drive
Though I am not sure how much tv tuners use.
I don't think you can break anything if you try, the power supply just automatically shuts off.
You are cutting it pretty fine.

SiHa
December 18th, 2008, 09:41 PM
If you want to be really sure, you can pick a power meter up for about 10 off ebay. I got one for precicely the same reason. My frontend is a P4 2.4Ghz + nVidia FX5200 + 2.5"in HDD, and it runs about 75W max when decoding SD video (I don't use the hardware acceleration on the nVidia).

BTW, you haven't mentioned the HDD. A standard (non-7200rpm) 3.5" will peak at 10W, athough that's only at spin-up. I chose the 2.5" as it only takes about 1.5w and is quiet.

emillan
December 19th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I've got two tuners (one Pinnacle, one Air2PC), two hard drives, a 65W AMD processor, and a power supply rated 80PLUS (Antec EarthWatts) and I very seldom draw more than 100W. (Onboard graphics though.)

4dognight
December 19th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Check out this site. Its a free PS calculator. Enter your components and it tells you what size of PS you will need.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

I ran your specs through and it came up with 175 watts.