View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 interesting Network problem

December 17th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Hi Guys I have set-up 8.10 on my rig and all was well until I switched on the machine this evening. For some reason the on-board lan device has vanished. I have no indication of a connection in the top right hand of the screen.

When I go to browse the internet I get no results. I have run a Ifconfig in the CLI and I am it's showing no ethernet card it just says Loopback address.

I am very confused as this machine was working perfectly fine yesterday. Do you think the on-board NIC is dead? when I run lspci -a it physically detects the hardware and I have a green light on the connection.

I have a windows machine running off the Router so that eliminates that from the equation.

Any other further tests I can run?

Thanks for you help appreciate it.

December 17th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Try to run the recovery mode when you boot your pc...it may help,because it fix possible broken packages.

December 17th, 2008, 05:38 AM
There are a few people (including me) complaining of the same thing at the moment, something got broken in the latest update that happened last night. I spent hours this morning trying to figure out what I had broken until I visited here to see I wasn't the only one.