PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Confusion about www-data user

kook44
December 16th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Hi-
I've installed apache on 8.10. Everything is working fine. I see that apache is running three processes as user www-data as always. I checked the list of users and there's no www-data user.
How is this possible?

doobiest
December 16th, 2008, 10:19 PM
How are you checking users? are you just issuing 'users' from the command line?

If you are you will only see real users there, not www-data because apache is a daemon running under the user www-data

fyi you can cat /etc/shadow and that is a grimmy way if listing all valid users.

jpeddicord
December 16th, 2008, 10:20 PM
www-data is a user/group set created specifically for web servers. It should be listed in /etc/passwd as a user, and can be configured to run as another user in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf.

Basically, it's just a user with stripped permissions so if someone managed to find a security hole in one of your web applications they wouldn't be able to do much. Without a lower-user like www-data set, apache2 would run as root, which would be a Bad Thing® since it would be able to do anything and everything to your system.

kook44
December 16th, 2008, 10:30 PM
How are you checking users? are you just issuing 'users' from the command line?

If you are you will only see real users there, not www-data because apache is a daemon running under the user www-data

fyi you can cat /etc/shadow and that is a grimmy way if listing all valid users.

www-data is a user/group set created specifically for web servers. It should be listed in /etc/passwd as a user, and can be configured to run as another user in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf.

Basically, it's just a user with stripped permissions so if someone managed to find a security hole in one of your web applications they wouldn't be able to do much. Without a lower-user like www-data set, apache2 would run as root, which would be a Bad Thing® since it would be able to do anything and everything to your system.

Ah, yes. I was using users. So, technically, what makes www-data not a "real" user? I'm going to want to also set up tomcat to run as a daemon under a user "tomcat". How would I set one of my own up from scratch? I was planning on just creating a user w/ useradd. I'm thinking that isn't the right way to do it...

jpeddicord
December 16th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Ah, yes. I was using users. So, technically, what makes www-data not a "real" user? I'm going to want to also set up tomcat to run as a daemon under a user "tomcat". How would I set one of my own up from scratch? I was planning on just creating a user w/ useradd. I'm thinking that isn't the right way to do it...

It's a real user in the sense that it can be used and operated on, but it's a system user that cannot be logged in to (unless you add a password to it, which isn't a great idea).

As for Tomcat, I don't really know, other than that one of the tomcat packages might create and set up the user automatically.

doobiest
December 16th, 2008, 10:39 PM
well put it this way www-data is a real user, you can su www-data but I never would want to. The point more so is that services/daemons are running under the www-data user not applications. so if you su'd to www-data it would invoke an instance of bash for the www-data, at that point it would show up in the users list. User only shows active users that have application level processes running under them, if that helps describe it better.

RE: tomcat i'd assume upon installing tomcat it would create it's own user or use an existing one. I'd stick with that.

But some things you might want to look into is useradd userdel usermod, groupadd, groupdel, groupmod.. Just for fun, but be careful.

doobiest
December 16th, 2008, 10:41 PM
It's a real user in the sense that it can be used and operated on, but it's a system user that cannot be logged in to (unless you add a password to it, which isn't a great idea).

As for Tomcat, I don't really know, other than that one of the tomcat packages might create and set up the user automatically.

You can su to www-data without changing the password.

Example sudo su www-data would go from you > root user > www-data

in actuality there is always a password for a user you just might not know it.

jpeddicord
December 16th, 2008, 10:55 PM
You can su to www-data without changing the password.

Example sudo su www-data would go from you > root user > www-data
Yes, you can su to any user defined in /etc/passwd, but that doesn't enable direct logins on the account.

in actuality there is always a password for a user you just might not know it.No, system users have an invalid password set (listed as * or ! in /etc/passwd) that prevents them from being signed in to (using su to access an account does not qualify as signing in either. ;))

doobiest
December 16th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Hey if I can run bash as that user I would consider that logged in enough for me

Stephen-I-M
January 9th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I have no problem assigning group ownership to www-data, but under Users Settings->Group Settings, www-data does not appear.

My goal is to add myself to the www-data group.

StephenB

mbeach
January 9th, 2009, 05:00 PM
if you use the configuration editor (gconf-editor) there is a setting at:
"/apps/gnome-system-tools/users/showall"
Enable that to show all users. Launch your "users and groups" again and you'll see www-data.

mbeach
January 9th, 2009, 05:10 PM
you may also want to read the description in the man file for adduser.

man adduser
specifically the part about adding a system account.

also, a read of:
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s9.2.2
will outline the differences between system users and 'real users'.

Stephen-I-M
January 19th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Thank you mbeach.

StephenB

Blario
February 14th, 2012, 01:06 AM
Yes, you can su to any user defined in /etc/passwd, but that doesn't enable direct logins on the account.

No, system users have an invalid password set (listed as * or ! in /etc/passwd) that prevents them from being signed in to (using su to access an account does not qualify as signing in either. ;))

old thread, but i found this at the top of google. this post helped me, but its not /etc/passwd. it's the second field of /etc/shadow. worked like a charm. yayy for security.