PDA

View Full Version : HDMI - what to get?

Sternfan
December 16th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Hi all,

My cable TV comes in the house as coax, goes into a HD box with an HDMI output. So that means I need an HDMI TV card? Which is the best card to get? Easiest to setup? I've searched for a card like this (newegg etc) and really can't find anything.

If this doesn't work - what is the best workaround? I finally got an 1080p TV and want to get the most out of it...

Any advice greatly appreciated,
Rob

tgm4883
December 17th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Hi all,

My cable TV comes in the house as coax, goes into a HD box with an HDMI output. So that means I need an HDMI TV card? Which is the best card to get? Easiest to setup? I've searched for a card like this (newegg etc) and really can't find anything.

If this doesn't work - what is the best workaround? I finally got an 1080p TV and want to get the most out of it...

Any advice greatly appreciated,
Rob

There are no HDMI tuner cards. If you could get either component out of the cable box, or get a HDMI-Component converter you could use a HD-PVR, although you will need to run trunk for that.

Sternfan
December 17th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks. So just to be clear - so when I get my HD box from my cable company I will get normal cable (not HD)?

I guess what I'm really asking is - how do you get Mythbuntu to record HD cable channels?

Rob

dmfrey
December 17th, 2008, 03:52 PM
See if your box has a live firewire output. If so, setup a firewire capture card. This will only capture your unencrypted channels.

Another option is to use QAM capture card (pcHDTV 5500) to capture your HD right off the cable (no box required). This will only capture your unencrypted channels.

You can also go only the SD route with a pvr-150 capture card (or other capture card).

check the mythtv wiki for all the options available for recording.