PDA

View Full Version : [other] router comparison

joshuapbell
December 16th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Which is better the Linksys wrt54g or the Linksys wrt54gs

the second is 10 dollars cheaper at wal-mart

What I am looking to do is install dd-wrt or tomato firmware on it. Also, if I install the firmware and decide I don't like it, do I just install the factory firmware to get rid of it?

Thanks.

doobiest
December 16th, 2008, 09:25 PM
That chances of you finding a new wrt router that can take 3rd party firmware is slim to none. You have two options.

1) find out the hardware version of the g/gs router, should be written on the box. then go to dd-wrt's website and check the compatibility list. I think anything over 5.0 wont work

2) Find the wrt-54gL model which is a new version which specifically allows third party software.

I think the GS has more memory and a speedbooster which from my usage has been a useless item.

joshuapbell
December 16th, 2008, 09:31 PM
1) find out the hardware version of the g/gs router, should be written on the box. then go to dd-wrt's website and check the compatibility list. I think anything over 5.0 wont work

I have investigated and found, at least what I think is evidence of both these routers working with either dd-wrt or tomato...but who knows I could be completely retarded and wrong...hence why I am asking you experts.

doobiest
December 16th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Ya those "models" work but the version matters. I've put linux on my wrt54g and i've put it on my friends wrt54-gs, but when he was shopping for a GS we went to a couple different walmarts until we found one that's a compatible hardware version.

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Linksys

That site lists the compatible hardware versions.. Looks like they cracked v5+ which is new to me. Might want to check out the ddwrt forums