PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using internet connection sharing with a Windows XP box?

mazingerZ
December 16th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me if the following is possible with Ubuntu 8.10:

I have three boxes, an XP box, a Vista box, and a laptop running Ubuntu 8.10. I do not have a router, but have set up an ad hoc network between the XP boc and the Vista box. The Vista machine accesses the internet through internet connection sharing with the XP box, which has a wired net connection.

I am wondering if it is possible to set up the Ubuntu laptop so it also can access the internet in this way? (i.e., through my XP box via internet connection sharing.)

I have done some searching and understand that I may need to set up and configure Samba, but before I make the effort I would like to know if a.) what I'd like to do is possible and b.) if there is a simpler way.

A possibly related problem is that with my Ubuntu laptop, I can access open wireless internet connections but it does not seem to want to connect to the ad hoc connection I have set up with the XP box. (It attempts to connect, and then asks me for my WEP password- which I enter correctly but it still rejects the network connection.)

I know this is a little complicated but any ideas or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated! :confused: