PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Network Connection

sudeepk
December 16th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I have installed ubuntu 8.10, it seem my internet connection is not working. I have dual boot with windows and internet is just working fine in windows.My ISP did not provied any IP address or subnet mask or DNS server.SO any one can u please help me out.

Yardarm
December 16th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Is it wired or wireless? What is the output of ifconfig?

shifty_powers
December 16th, 2008, 05:30 PM
are you using wireless or wired connection?

what does netowrk manager tell you?

sudeepk
December 16th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I am using wired netwrok connection.
ts showing ip as 192.168.0.12 and subnet mask as 255.255.255.0

Yardarm
December 16th, 2008, 05:42 PM
So you're getting your IP from your router I take it. Can you ping any sites? Is your DNS working?

Try typing:

dig ubuntuforums.org
to test DNS

sudeepk
December 16th, 2008, 06:03 PM
no i cannt ping any sites and my dns is not working. currently i am using windows

Yardarm
December 16th, 2008, 06:10 PM
So is your 192.168.0.12 address in Windows? If you run ifconfig in ubuntu it should tell you if your ethernet card is working (it will show up as eth0) and if you're getting an IP address.

If eth0 doesn't show up in ifconfig can you try running lspci to see what kind of ethernet card you have?

Law506
December 16th, 2008, 06:20 PM
2 things you might want to check.

1. Quick simple thing to check as well, did this my first time.

Up in the corner where it shows the network icon, left click on it and it should drop down a menu and if I am correct, you should see something like Auto eth0. If there isn't a dot next to it then that means it isn't selected and it won't connect.

Try clicking it and see what happens.

Of course if you got that IP from Ubuntu then this is irrelevant.

2. Another thing to check, this also happened to me.

On your windows side go to Device Manager and find your network card and right click and go to properties. Go over to the Advanced Tab and you should see a selection for Wake On Settings in the Properties box. To the side of it you should see a drop down menu and if this is disabled you need to change it to one of the other selections. I am at work right now and my XP computer is set to "Wake On Magic & Directed". I dual boot at my house which is turned off.

Hopefully some of this helps.

eraker
December 16th, 2008, 07:14 PM
So is your 192.168.0.12 address in Windows? If you run ifconfig in ubuntu it should tell you if your ethernet card is working (it will show up as eth0) and if you're getting an IP address.

If eth0 doesn't show up in ifconfig can you try running lspci to see what kind of ethernet card you have?

^I'd try this stuff first. Here's the networking checklist I always go through:
1. ifconfig
2. If there is eth0 and lo output, edit/check /etc/network/interfaces
3. Ping the router:
ping -c3 192.168.1.0
4. Run
/etc/init.d/networking --force-reload (or stop and then start instead of --force-reload) and check for errors
5. ping somewhere else:
ping -c3 www.google.com

If no eth0 and lo output, check lspci and figure out why the card's not working.

albinootje
December 16th, 2008, 07:21 PM
3. Ping the router: [code]ping -c3 192.168.1.0

In this case that would be : ping -c3 192.168.0.1