PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] errno 5.

Bobbino
December 16th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I've been trying to do a fresh new install of ubuntu 8.10 on my system and I keep getting errno 5 when using the regular version, and when using the alternate it fails too.

I've used 3 different disks, The official media that I ordered from canonical, one that I burned myself and the alternate install media.

None would work, both of the livecd versions gave errno 5 and the alternate gave no error but just failed.

I've also tried installing on two different 80 gig hard drives, both of which are IDE and are on a AMD Athlon mobo.

I am at a complete loss as what to try next... Anyone got any suggestions? I can boot into a live CD, though it seems really unstable when I do.

bumanie
December 16th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Errno5 seems to be an I/O error or a media error. I remember a few having issues with 8.04 when it was released. Those who managed to intall 8.04 either used an alternate optical drive or burnt the distro onto another brand of media, a few managed with the alternate cd without changing either of the above. Good luck, a bit of trial and error is probably needed to sort thisone out. Easiest thing would be to try the alternate installation cd or plug a friends optical drive into your computer and try that.

PS: Sorry, just saw you already tried the alternate cd - try the optical drive change.

Bobbino
December 16th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks, I think I have a spare DVD drive somewhere :)