PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Atheros AR5007 Update problem [Solved]

K3N8
December 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Hi everybody,

Like a few others here my wireless connection stopped working right after I updated Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid.

I decided to uninstall the backport kernel modules and to reinstall them after reboot:

apt-get remove --purge linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic

After the reboot the wireless connection worked again?!

Gr. Alexander

krisstaar
December 16th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks a lot, dude! Lifesaver =)

stoopid_noob
December 16th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Can you please provide a dummy proof, step by step for what exactly you did?

I am doing a fresh install of Ubuntu right now on my AAO. So right from the start can you provide me with the exact step by step of what you did in order to get this working?

Thanks.

K3N8
December 16th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Can you please provide a dummy proof, step by step for what exactly you did?

My solution was not for a fresh install. But when I did a fresh install I installed the backport kernel modules:
apt-get install linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic

After rebooting activate the new 5xxx module and deactivate the standaard Atheros module. Restart again and you're set.

Gr. Alexander

K3N8
January 7th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Hi all,

Today it happened again after an update. My wireless connection isn't working anymore. I tried the same thing I did last time, but now it doesn't work anymore. Does anybody haave the same issues?

Thankx

Alexander

kevdog
January 7th, 2009, 01:27 AM
What driver do you want to use? The ath5k driver? Did you add it to /etc/modules to make it load at boot?

K3N8
January 7th, 2009, 01:37 PM
What driver do you want to use? The ath5k driver? Did you add it to /etc/modules to make it load at boot?I use th ath5k driver. I did not have it in /etc/modules. I have just added it. I did load it manually through
sudo modprobe ath5k and that didn't work.

The stangest thing is, that I started the computer just now and it worked again?! The only thing different is that I had the power cord attached.

Gr. Alexander

kevdog
January 7th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Make sure ath5k is listed in the /etc/modules file (just like ath_pci would be for madwifi) and that it is not listed in the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file.