PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help- sudo stopped working

pollywog
December 16th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I've been fooling around trying to get my new ATI card working by following this tutorial:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI
-so far without success- and now I cannot sudo anymore. When I use the sudo command, I get this message (example):

matt@ubuntu:~$ sudo nautilus
seahorse nautilus module initialized
Initializing nautilus-share extension

(nautilus:7796): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_simple_async_result_set_from_error: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nautilus:7796): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_error_free: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nautilus:7796): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_simple_async_result_set_from_error: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nautilus:7796): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: (/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.16.6/gio/gfile.c:5249):IA__g_file_load_partial_contents_fin ish: runtime check failed: (g_simple_async_result_get_source_tag (simple) == g_file_load_contents_async)
Segmentation fault
matt@ubuntu:~$

I can use sudo to open a text file with gedit, but when I try to save to new file save, it wont. Instead I get the above message in the terminal. I also cannot log in as root. If I try to do so I get a message telling me that my last session lasted less than 10 seconds, and that there is a problem. Any ideas?

billgoldberg
December 16th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I've been fooling around trying to get my new ATI card working by following this tutorial:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI
-so far without success- and now I cannot sudo anymore. When I use the sudo command, I get this message (example):

matt@ubuntu:~$ sudo nautilus
seahorse nautilus module initialized
Initializing nautilus-share extension

(nautilus:7796): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_error_free: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nautilus:7796): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: (/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.16.6/gio/gfile.c:5249):IA__g_file_load_partial_contents_fin ish: runtime check failed: (g_simple_async_result_get_source_tag (simple) == g_file_load_contents_async)
Segmentation fault

I can use sudo to open a text file with gedit, but when I try to save to new file save, it wont. Instead I get the above message in the terminal. I also cannot log in as root. If I try to do so I get a message telling me that my last session lasted less than 10 seconds, and that there is a problem. Any ideas?

It's nautilus that is giving you problems, not sudo.

Michael.Godawski
December 16th, 2008, 01:22 PM
and what about

gksudo nautilus?

pollywog
December 16th, 2008, 02:14 PM
gksudo nautilus
yields the same error message.

unutbu
December 16th, 2008, 02:53 PM
... when I try to save to new file save, it wont...

My guess is that a partition on your hard drive might be full. Please post the output of

df -h
du -sh /var/cache/apt/archives

The first command will show how much space has been used on each partition. If you find / or /home are nearly full, this might explain the problem.

The second command shows how much space is consumed by /var/cache/apt/archives. If you've confirmed that space is the problem, then the second command might suggest a directory whose contents can be safely deleted to create more space.

Since you can not log in as root, a solution would be to boot from the LiveCD, mount the full partition, use

gksu nautilus
to find and delete files (like /var/cache/apt/archives/*) to create some space.

pollywog
December 16th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks for your advice. Here is what I found by entering those commands

matt@ubuntu:~$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb2 188G 17G 162G 10% /
varrun 506M 124K 506M 1% /var/run
varlock 506M 0 506M 0% /var/lock
udev 506M 60K 506M 1% /dev
devshm 506M 0 506M 0% /dev/shm
lrm 506M 39M 467M 8% /lib/modules/2.6.24-22-generic/volatile
/dev/sda1 184G 85G 94G 48% /media/Vault
tmpfs 506M 0 506M 0% /dev/shm
matt@ubuntu:~$ du -sh /var/cache/apt/archives
189M /var/cache/apt/archives

I don't think that I'm running out of hard drive space. I don't understand what "df -h" tells me exactly, but I do notice that /lib/modules/2.6.24-22-generic/volatile is related to what I was doing before nautilus stopped working correctly. I was following the aforementioned tutorial which directed me to enter

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`
sudo insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/volatile/fglrx.ko
followed by :

sudo aticonfig --initial
sudo aticonfig --overlay-type=Xv

It seems logical that something in that broke my system. I guess that that's the downside of following tutorials- you may not know what the commands that you are pasting in do precisely.

pollywog
December 18th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Well, after several reboots the system seems OK now - go figure.