PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Repo

icyest
December 16th, 2008, 10:48 AM
What does it mean to "install a repository?" I thought all Linux computers were connected to one large universal database of "every program available."

Kobalt
December 16th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Here is something for you to read : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories

Tatty
December 16th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Not quite.

A repo is basically a server full of software. Each release of each distro (generally) has its own repo with all of its own software in. The software has to be put in the repo by a maintainer, and it has to be tested to work with the other software available in it.

So ubuntu has separate repos for gutsy,hardy, intrepid, etc. These dont contain all linux applications available (though probably most of them), and there may be times when software is not available in them.

You can always add other repos if you want to your system, so you can install the software from there as well. For example I have the wine repo added so it keeps updating the version of wine on my system.

EDIT: I wish now that i had just googled great that link in the above post rather than my long badly worded response. lol.