PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Need a download manager

talsemgeest
December 16th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Hi everyone, I need a download manager for ubuntu similar to internet download manager (http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/).

In particular I need one with these features.

Scheduled downloading. It must be able to start all downloads at a certain time, then stop them again at another time.
It should be able to take over download links from firefox. Not absolutely needed but would be very helpful.
Should be able to start at logon and sit in the tray, so it is running at all times.

If anyone knows a program that has these features (especially scheduled downloading) please let me know, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks,

Talsemgeest.

hyper_ch
December 16th, 2008, 09:49 AM
DownThemAll extension for Firefox?

D4X?

Bachstelze
December 16th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Aria will do what you want (and much more). It's GTK 1.2, however, so it's not very pretty, but as I said, it will get the job done.

sudo apt-get install aria

(You can integrate it into Firefox with the FlashGet extension.)

Archmage
December 16th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Wget

Bachstelze
December 16th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Wget

If you fancy cron and shell scripting. May I remind you we're in Absolute Beginner Talk?

Artificial Intelligence
December 16th, 2008, 10:04 AM
gwget

Bachstelze
December 16th, 2008, 10:06 AM
gwget

Can gwget start and stop downloads at a given time? It's been a while since I tried it, but I remember it didn't have many features (which is why I usually recommend Aria).

alienexplorers
December 16th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I don't beleive DownThemAll allows scheduling of download times.

Artificial Intelligence
December 16th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I think it can now. It have resume, stop buttons. And if you use epiphany browser you can install its extenstion so it become a part of epiphany browser.

talsemgeest
December 16th, 2008, 10:25 AM
DownThemAll extension for Firefox?

D4X?

I don't think down them all supports scheduled downloads, and downloader for x doesn't automatically take over downloads from firefox. However, I will leave that as my backup plan.

gwget

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Aria will do what you want (and much more). It's GTK 1.2, however, so it's not very pretty, but as I said, it will get the job done.

sudo apt-get install aria(You can integrate it into Firefox with the FlashGet extension.)Thanks, I think this sounds about perfect. However, I can't figure out how to schedule the downloads (I cant find an option anywhere in the program). Also, is there an option for adding the downloads as stopped?

EDIT: Never mind, I found the scheduler. Thanks again HymnToLife.

kpkeerthi
December 16th, 2008, 10:44 AM
D4x integrates with firefox via flashgot (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/220)

talsemgeest
December 16th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Also, does aria start at system startup? If it doesn't, is there any way to make it run in the background, preferably in the system tray?

Bachstelze
December 16th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Also, does aria start at system startup? If it doesn't, is there any way to make it run in the background, preferably in the system tray?

I think Gnome lets you specify a list of programs you want to be run at startup in its session manager. Aria doesn't have a "run in systray" feature in itself, but you should be able to achieve that with AllTray.

talsemgeest
December 16th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I think Gnome lets you specify a list of programs you want to be run at startup in its session manager. Aria doesn't have a "run in systray" feature in itself, but you should be able to achieve that with AllTray.
Thank you very much once again, you have helped me out immeasurably.

Problem solved.