PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] system wont find OS on start up

gidrdunv11
December 16th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I went through a step by step to do a dual boot with ubuntu installed first but the WindowsXP install CD didn't work. Computer would only recognize windows in the partition I created and not the original partition with Ubuntu. I deleted the partition with windows on it and still won't find original operating system.

Titan8990
December 16th, 2008, 06:54 AM
A Windows disc will never find a Linux partition.

OutOfReach
December 16th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Yeah Windows only recognizes NTFS and FAT partitions. It shows any other kind of partition as unknown.

rzrgenesys187
December 16th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I might not have read the problem correctly, but if you've installed windows it will overwrite your grub. To reinstall grub (assuming ubuntu has already installed) you can use this howto. It has worked wonders for me in the past http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

gidrdunv11
December 16th, 2008, 07:03 AM
The disk didn't work so I just gave up on it. Not using the disk now only want my computer to startup using the original operating system

gidrdunv11
December 16th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Yes the grub. when I type in grub "find /boot/grub/stagel/", I get "file not found". Don't know what to try next!?

bumanie
December 16th, 2008, 08:04 AM
From a live ubuntu cd
sudo fdisk -lu in terminal - post the output to the forum

maddog46113
December 16th, 2008, 08:15 AM
This option will use the Desktop/Live CD to install Grub into your MBR (Master Boot Record). This option will overwrite your Windows Boot Loader It is OK to do this, in fact that is the goal of this how to (in order to boot Ubuntu) B)

1. Boot the Desktop/Live CD.

2. Open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal)

3. Start grub as root with the following command :

sudo grub

4. You will get a grub prompt (see below) which we will use to find the root partition and install grub to the MBR (hd0,0)

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For
the first word, TAB lists possible command
completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
completions of a device/filename. ]

grub>

Type the following and press enter:

find /boot/grub/stage1

If you get "Error 15: File not found", try the following:

find /grub/stage1

Using this information, set the root device (fill in X,Y with whatever the find command returned):

grub> root (hdX,Y)

Install Grub:

grub> setup (hd0)

Exit Grub:

grub> quit

5. Reboot (to hard drive). Grub should be installed and both Ubuntu and Windows should have been automatically detected.

6. If, after installing grub, Windows will not boot you may need to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst (That is a small "L" and not the number 1 in menu.lst)

* Open a terminal and enter :

gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Or, in Kubuntu:

kdesu kate /boot/grub/menu.lst

Your Windows stanza should look something like this :

title Windows XP/Vista # You can use any title you wish, this will appear on your grub boot menu
rootnoverify (hd0,0) #(hd0,0) will be most common, you may need to adjust accordingly
makeactive
chainloader +1

Note: Put your Windows stanza before or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST in the menu.lst

source: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

3rdalbum
December 16th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Yes the grub. when I type in grub "find /boot/grub/stagel/", I get "file not found". Don't know what to try next!?

It's "stage1" (the number 1), not "stagel".

JUDOHAWK
December 16th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I had the same problem, I tried to install windows AFTER I had ubuntu first. Well the setup disc would not recognize any partition even after partitioning in NTFS. Well I used the recovery discs and got Vista back on, but then I installed ubuntu after I had vista. That seemed to be the best way for me to dual boot. That way you don't have to go restoring the GRUB.

waspbr
December 16th, 2008, 09:12 AM
the easiest way to do it is to install windows and then install ubuntu. What I generally do is just to use the live CD to partition the HDD as I want (with gparted , system > Administration > Partition editor ) Then I create 1 ntfs partition for windows and leave the rest unpartitioned. then I would reboot install windows into the ntfs, and after that I would install ubuntu.

gidrdunv11
December 17th, 2008, 06:28 AM
here is what came back

Disk /dev/sda: 40.0 GB, 40000000000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4863 cylinders, total 78125000 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xd4e926e6

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 63 75152069 37576003+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 75152070 78124094 1486012+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 75152133 78124094 1485981 82 Linux swap / Solaris
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$