PDA

View Full Version : [other] linux mint -looking for a winamp like audio player

irish66
December 16th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Hi.
while checking out a live cd of a linux distro called dyne bolic, I saw that it played audio files through xmms. I liked it as it seemed to be a clone more or less of winamp.
But I see that it has been replaced by xmms2, which according to another thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=183
has no graphical front end, which in layman's language means you can't see the bloody thing on the screen.
One thing I like about winamp is it's play folder option, which i haven't seen in any other linux audio player.
I've tried audacious which was mentioned on the same thread. but didn't like it.
so does anybody know of a linux player, that has a play folder option?
M

earthpigg
December 16th, 2008, 05:33 AM
One thing I like about winamp is it's play folder option, which i haven't seen in any other linux audio player.

rhythmbox has that ;)

rhythmbox is what i settled with after being a long time winamp user. once you disable all the clutter, i find it very similar.

MockY
December 16th, 2008, 05:37 AM
What is wrong with Audacious? I find it by far the best Winamp replacement there is. For playing music from my collection, I use Songbird.

JoshuaRL
December 16th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I'd like to support Songbird too. You can skin it like Winamp, it has a miniplayer, and lets you change about anything you want. It's nice.

scorp123
December 16th, 2008, 07:37 AM
What is wrong with Audacious? I find it by far the best Winamp replacement there is. Exactly.

irish66
December 16th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks folks for your replies.
"What's wrong with audacious" you ask. Well of course when i see a question like that, I have to investigate further. Look, first of all. let me say when i posted, it was way past my bedtime.
So now I can say after a little bit more time using it, I can what I like about it and don't like about it.

the continue playback on startup option

dislikes
i can't see all of the files in playlist editor

it doesn't have "play folder option" of course I can right click a folder within a file manager and choose to play with audacious. But let's say i'm finished playing a folder, and want to play another one.
It would be nice to do it direc tly within the player.

songbird
i like the lyrics thing

I'm sure they all have their plusses and minus's for me.
okay I'm gonna turn off computer to see if audacius will continue from where i stopped.
yep it did. so I'll be hanging onto that program for a while.
I find that to be a very useful option.

i like the amount of stations you can stream in gxine. Although whether
I will use that option very much is another matter.

vlc also has play folder/directory option option

M

Zen_Jackal
December 16th, 2008, 04:27 PM
<removed post>

tacutu
December 16th, 2008, 04:47 PM
sure audacious can play folders. Just click on "add files" and select a folder with music in it. The playlist will be populated with the files in the folder. I use this all the time, as I only listen to entire albums.

dislikes
i can't see all of the files in playlist editor

How do you mean? Just grab the corner of the playlist editor and drag it to make it larger!