PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] reducing photos for email transmission

gracefaith
December 16th, 2008, 04:09 AM
I have Gimp downloaded but don't know what to do to make it work when emailing a photo. What do I need to do to make it work - or do I need another program?

A minor matter - I wanted to indicate following a previous question which was well answered that the solution worked and the the thread was finished and to say thank you - which I understand is the normal courtesy - but I did not know how to! As you can see I am not at all computer literate so please assume nothing in offering your solutions!

Thanks

Guy

Shhnap
December 16th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Do you want to make the file smaller in screen dimensions or in file size? Then i'll tell you how to do either.

nhasian
December 16th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I have Gimp downloaded but don't know what to do to make it work when emailing a photo.

after you've opened a photo, in the toolbar go to Image, then scale image. change the dropdown from pixels to percent. now if you put 25% it will reduce the image to 25% its original size. makes it easier to email.

A minor matter - I wanted to indicate following a previous question which was well answered that the solution worked and the the thread was finished and to say thank you - which I understand is the normal courtesy

you can mark your thread solved by using the Thread Tools at the top of your post and to thank someone click the "Thanks" icon http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/post_thanks.gif on the bottom right corner of the post.

mike555
December 16th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I think there is a right click option , called "nautilus -resize" or something like that for Ubuntu..

davidsrsb
December 16th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I find that with modern digital cameras reducing pixel count gives better image quality than aggressive jpeg compression for a given file size.

Using Gimp, this is done with "image"-"scale image"
Don't forget to save to a new file name

alienexplorers
December 16th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I use gthumb. I open the photo and then goto the image menu and choose resize. Then I just insert or attach it to the email.

gracefaith
December 17th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Do you want to make the file smaller in screen dimensions or in file size? Then i'll tell you how to do either.

It's the file size I want to reduce more than the actual photo size. I see that someone suggests just adjusting the pixels on the camera - a reasonable option except that if you take a photo on higher resolution for conventional printing, or have a photo already taken, that's not so good.

Thanks

starcannon
December 17th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I use gthumb. I open the photo and then goto the image menu and choose resize. Then I just insert or attach it to the email.
I just installed nautilus-image-converter, wow, thats as easy as it gets. Quick and simple, just r-click the image, click resize images, do what comes natural; it even allows you to do entire selections of images; thanks for the heads up on that mike555.

+1 for gthumb, for simple chores like resizing for email.

Gimp is great but a bit like using a car crusher on a soda can.

Tatty
December 17th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I think there is a right click option , called "nautilus -resize" or something like that for Ubuntu..

sudo apt-get install nautilus-image-converter

gracefaith
December 17th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Can you advise step by step how to apply the nautilus or gthumb to the photos, from selection of photo to actually attaching it to the email?

Thanks

Tatty
December 17th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Can you advise step by step how to apply the nautilus or gthumb to the photos, from selection of photo to actually attaching it to the email?

Thanks
I have never used gthumb.

To do it in nautilus run the code in my last post to install the nautilus image convertor extension, then i believe you just have to right-click on an image file, and it should give you some options.

vedavrata
April 8th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I use gThumb under Ubuntu Linux.

When i save a JPEG file, i just can specify a Quality (%) but i can not see the old and the new file size, as well can not see the image difference (what i would lose), can't i ?..

How to see the both old (original) / new (will be saved) file size of JPEG file?
How to see the both old (original) image / new (will be saved) image simulaneously [in two modes "Fit to half a widnow / fit to half a widnow" and "No fit / no fit (i.e. 1:1 / 1:1)"] to evaluate visual quality ?