PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best music player/library for unbuntu

tegnoto89
December 16th, 2008, 01:32 AM
I'm currently using RhythmBox because it's the closest thing I've found to Windows Media Player (which was probably my favorite thing about windows), but what do you guys use and why?

frank002
December 16th, 2008, 01:37 AM
I also use rhythmbox and it works fine for me. My ipod synchs with no problem. I have heard Amarok works very well but I have never tried it.

dark_harmonics
December 16th, 2008, 01:39 AM
My favorite three are Rhythmbox (of course), Amarok, and Songbird. The newest version of songbird is pretty cool and is my current default.

Dj Melik
December 16th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Banshee is nice.

Michaelg14
December 16th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I also like Banshee. The new version is Banshee-1 and does everything media player does and it also has a built in equalizer.

jerome1232
December 16th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Banshee and Rhythmbox are my personal favorites, along with moc (A command line player).

I Personally hate the way Windows Media Player and Amarok display their libraries.

Jeebus McChrist
December 16th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I use Banshee, and it's probably my favorite one I've used so far. I'm very particular about my media players.

maddog46113
December 16th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I favor amarok because i have a huge library of music. Using MySQL with Amarok enables it carry a huge load in the library without deathly slowing down your PC.

heres a guide for setting up mysql with Amarok.
http://mikesubuntu.blogspot.com/2007/09/how-to-set-up-mysql-database-in-amarok.html

anjilslaire
December 16th, 2008, 02:07 AM
+1 for AmaroK

OutOfReach
December 16th, 2008, 02:08 AM
I used to like Banshee for listening to my iPod music on my computer and I use gtkpod to manage the songs and pictures.

C. Wizard
December 16th, 2008, 02:10 AM
+2 for Amarok.
:)

Toshibawarrior
December 16th, 2008, 02:10 AM
It's all a matter of personal taste, but my favorites are Amarok, Songbird and Rhythmbox, in that order...But I just use Amarok...

VLC is cool too, but I just use it for quick listenings...one or two songs...

The only downside of Amarok is that it's a KDE app and it'll install a few KDE libraries and stuff, not to mention that it might not run as smoothly as it could in GNOME.

maddog46113
December 16th, 2008, 02:19 AM
I have never had a problem with amarok running in gnome. The KDE libs dont really have an impact on anything :)

Toshibawarrior
December 16th, 2008, 02:21 AM
I have never had a problem with amarok running in gnome. The KDE libs dont really have an impact on anything :)

I know, I was just being informative. I've heard people whining about Amarok in GNOME but it runs sweet on my Ubuntu Toshiba :)!

starcannon
December 16th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I like songbird (http://getsongbird.com/download/) alot, but I'm a basic user on such things, so I don't know if its as good as or better than or not as good as the other players listed in this thread.

cardinals_fan
December 16th, 2008, 02:34 AM
I use cplay with ogg123/mpg321 as the backends. A simple, nice command line music player :)

shadowdude1794
December 16th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Songbird is my favorite.

mnemonik
December 16th, 2008, 03:28 AM
I'm going to check out banshee right now. I have been looking for something suitable to replace MediaMonkey that has been my default on XP, but nothing has come close for me so far. The two features that really make MediaMonkey the best for me are:

1. Incredibly powerful autoplaylists - You can add an unlimited number of filters, and you can filter anything. Combined with the custom tag columns the possibilities are really endless

2. Half-star song ratings - You think you don't need it, but once you have used this for a while you will understand there is a big difference between a 4 star song and a 4.5 star song.

One of the things that is pissing me off now is that I have rated my whole library with half stars and when I import it in to other players there are absolutely no ratings. What a headache, I literally took days rating my library.

gabhla
December 16th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Amarok and it runs just fine on Gnome. Since I just recently moved to Gnome and formally used KDE I had to have Amarok, just because I'm used to it.

Michaelg14
December 16th, 2008, 06:50 AM
to mnemonik

I''m not sure that ratings are kept in tag files. I have never had ratings come over from one player to another. Maybe just me...

Twilight in Zero
December 16th, 2008, 07:06 AM
I like Quod Libet.

jocheem67
December 16th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I like rhythmbox for it's simplicity....

However I'm a foobar2000 addict, and being closed-source and win only, I'm very happy it runs greatly with wine.

Especially handy are the tagging capabilities and the file operations plugin:

A selected album can be tagged with freedb, and then from within foobar the files can be easily renamed to whatever structure one wants. Next the files can be copied to the folder of choice.

There's no linux app, ( regrettably ) that can do the same, or win app. for that matter.

Foobar with wine is quite ugly though and it has a learning curve....but I can do anything I want with it.
My problem with amarok, however very complete, is the not so good showing of tags.

Oh yeah, one can even rip cd's with foobar/wine, very impressive, at least to ogg and mp3....

mnemonik
December 17th, 2008, 05:10 AM
to mnemonik

I''m not sure that ratings are kept in tag files. I have never had ratings come over from one player to another. Maybe just me...

A couple years ago when I switched from iTunes to WinAmp all my ratings went with them.

tad1073
December 17th, 2008, 05:12 AM
VLC, supports all formats

jayef
December 30th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I just started using ubuntu and went straight to foobar. It was real easy to use with Wine but the only problem I have is trying to get a plug-in so I can use last.fm. Anyone know of a plug-in I can use?

Edit**I figured it out - http://mp3tag.de/en/fb2k.html