PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Horizontal Tab Menu?

s.fox
December 15th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Hi,

I want to build a menu similar to that which we have on our user control panel on this forum where you have
Visitor Messages, About Me, Statistics, Friends and Contact Info.

I am not totally sure what its been made in but I would really value any tutorial links on how to do something similar.

Many thanks,

Ash R

mssever
December 16th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Hi,

I want to build a menu similar to that which we have on our user control panel on this forum where you have
Visitor Messages, About Me, Statistics, Friends and Contact Info.

I am not totally sure what its been made in but I would really value any tutorial links on how to do something similar.

Many thanks,

Ash R
Are you talking about a menu on a website? If so, you'll need to know HTML and CSS.

s.fox
December 16th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Yes, sorry should have specified that I want to put into a website I am building.

I wasn't sure exactly how best to do it. HTML would be fine though.

Thanks for your assistance.

mssever
December 16th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Yes, sorry should have specified that I want to put into a website I am building.

I wasn't sure exactly how best to do it. HTML would be fine though.

Thanks for your assistance.
You can do something like that in pure HTML if you want, but it's far better to use CSS where possible. I suggest that your first step should be to learn both HTML and CSS. If you know those two things, making the menu will be pretty easy (which is why I doubt a tutorial exists for something like that). It would be more difficult for me to design something like that for you because I don't have accessto all your code. Plus, it would take me more time than I have to do it. Plus, you wouldn't learn how to do it if I did it for you.

drubin
December 16th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Are you talking about a menu on a website? If so, you'll need to know HTML and CSS.

...And javascript that menu doesn't re-load the whole page but flips between visible divs.

s.fox
December 17th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Well thankfully I am pretty good with HTML and know a fair amount of CSS. I thought it was javascript but wasn't 100% sure. Right, I am going to have a stab at it sometime over the Xmas break.

Thanks for the input and clearing up what its been made with.

Ash R

jespdj
December 17th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Here's a good article on creating a horizontal tab menu with HTML and CSS (no JavaScript required):

Sliding Doors of CSS (http://www.alistapart.com/articles/slidingdoors/) (also see part 2 (http://www.alistapart.com/articles/slidingdoors2/))

s.fox
December 17th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Hi,

Good news! I was able to find a really easy to use demo script from Dynamic Drive DHTML. Works exactly like I want. If anyone wants to see some source code please let me know and I shall post it up.

Once again, thank you all for the assistance.

Ash R