PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04.1 Firefox Flash question.

wildseven
December 15th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Hello! I've been searching the forums but could not find a related link or i am just using the wrong search words.

Well anywho, I performed a clean install of 8.04.1. I did my ritual of installs and such and when it came to installing flash, i installed the flasplugin-nonfree from the repositories. Well, when i go to something that has flash, I get a big grey arrow. I have to click them manually to start the flash video. This was neat at first as it helped load websites faster, but now it's just getting annoying. How do i fix this?

Thanks in advance!

billgoldberg
December 15th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Well the first thing to do is to remove the flash plugin non free and install flash 10.

Also make sure that libflashplayer.so is removed from ./mozilla/xxx

You can download a .deb file from the adobe flash player website.

That alone should be enough, unless that is caused by a firefox plugin you installed. Disable some plugins and see if that fixes things.

( a screenshot should help )

jbrown96
December 15th, 2008, 11:24 PM
you have the open source player installed. It's called something along the line of swfdec-mozilla. Search for "swf" in Synaptic and remove it. You may need to install flashplugin-nonfree again.
The version in the repos is version 10, although Adobe probably has a newer point release.

billgoldberg
December 15th, 2008, 11:27 PM
you have the open source player installed. It's called something along the line of swfdec-mozilla. Search for "swf" in Synaptic and remove it. You may need to install flashplugin-nonfree again.
The version in the repos is version 10, although Adobe probably has a newer point release.

In 8.04 it should still be Flash 9.

zvacet
December 15th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Look here #3. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1003286&highlight=flash)

kansasnoob
December 15th, 2008, 11:29 PM
It sounds like Flash is working though, eh?

If so go to Tools > Add-ons > Extensions and see if you have Flashblock installed. I personally wouldn't be without it but if it's there you can click "disable" and see if that gets you what you want.

Noscript is another possibility. It would be in the same place.

juanoleso
December 15th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I get a big grey arrow

unless that is caused by a firefox plugin you installed

This sounds similar to a firefox plugin I used to use: flashblock. To disable a plugin open firefox then tools > add-ons > then click the plugin and hit disable. You may have to restart firefox.

jbrown96
December 15th, 2008, 11:39 PM
In 8.04 it should still be Flash 9.

Good call. I didn't read that it's 8.04.
Get flash 10 from adobe's website. Much better

ashwinhgtx
December 15th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I think you have installed swfdec player instead of Adobe flash player. The same thing happened to me when i was configuring a fresh install of kubuntu. Search for it and remove it using synaptic. Install adobe/macromedia flash plugin instead. Remove swfdec before installing adobe's flash. Adobe's flash is called flashplugin-nonfree. Install this.

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

The other explanation is that you have got flashblock or flashkiller addons installed and enabled in firefox. You can disable them using the addons menu under tools.
Have you experienced this problem while using any other browser like Opera or Konqueror or Epiphany?

wildseven
December 16th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Thanks all! it was the swfflash. i just uninstalled and everything was good!