PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Flash in Firefox crashes regularly.

Jesdisciple
December 15th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I keep Pandora.com on all day, but sometimes the music suddenly stops. I switch to the tab and find the embedded Flash movie as a solid gray box. I refresh the page and start a new song, but the one I was listening to is gone for a long time.

I recently stripped my system of all KDE components I could find in attempt to solve this other problem (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=970916). It didn't help, and I lost my sound. This sticky (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449) got it back for me, but now I think I need another package.

Any ideas? Thanks!

jbrown96
December 15th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Where did you get flash (from the repo or from Adobe)? Are you using the open source version or Adobe's? Are you using 64-bit Ubuntu?

Jesdisciple
December 15th, 2008, 11:39 PM
I'm using Adobe's flashplugin-nonfree package - can't remember why I chose it, but I think there was a feature advantage. And I'm on 32-bit.

I should also mention that this usually happens when I'm doing some resource intensive task - not necessarily in Firefox. Opening another page is a common cause, especially if that page also uses Flash.

gandaran
December 15th, 2008, 11:55 PM
which ubuntu version, 8.04 or 8.10?
is firefox updated to version 3.0.4?
do you have flash 9 or flash 10?
do you have libflashsupport installed? if so remove it

ashwinhgtx
December 15th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Do you experience this problem while using any browsers other than Firefox? Does this happen only for Pandora.com?

Jesdisciple
December 16th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Yes, Firefox is up-to-date.
Flash 10
I uninstalled flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound and am waiting in disanticipation for a crash.

Jesdisciple
December 16th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Ash, I haven't tried in Opera or Konqueror yet but will do before my next post. No, it's not limited to any particular site; Pandora's just an easy and not-so-repetitive test.

I just managed to crash Pandora by opening Candilion.com; the second site also crashed soon after.

Jesdisciple
December 16th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Since the thread seems dependent on the cross-browser aspect, I'll go ahead and fill that in. I hope my triple-posting is alright; I don't like edits in this case because they don't update subscriptions.

Opera doesn't seem to be affected; I actually got to the end of the song at Candilion and it didn't start again, but Pandora kept going. Konqueror asks me to install Flash.

jbrown96
December 16th, 2008, 06:14 AM
I've always had problems with Konqueror when flash in manually installed. If you check the plugins in settings, it will show that the correct Mozilla plugin folder is used, but it won't recognize the plugin for some reason.

Jesdisciple
December 16th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Does Konqueror matter for this issue? Opera has already shown that it's specific to Firefox...