PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video Distortion with blender.

MarkSparks
December 15th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I'm using my laptop :
AMD 64 x2 Turion 1.8ghz
4 gigs RAM
200gb 7200rpm HDD
ATI x1200 integrated video
Ubuntu 8.10 x64

I tried opening up Blender with the stock ATI driver and with the newest restricted driver, and upon application launch, the screen distorts. It looks like someone just took an eraser to the screen.

I'm still new to Ubuntu, or I'd give you an output of my xorg config, but honestly, I don't know how to do it so well. Since I just used the updated but stock ATI driver, and the FGLRX driver both, I thought I covered the two options I have.

So, I could use some advice, or if you could tell me what you need to better look at my config, I'll get that info. Would I have better luck with 8.04?

So far, I'm trying to use Ubuntu and support the effort, but I'm getting sort of frustrated since Ubuntu seems hard to break into and Windows is too easy. Any help would be appreciated. Perhaps another distro?

Thanks for the help,

Mark Sparks

MarkSparks
December 15th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Update :

Okay, so I can run it in windowed mode only. Fullscreen is what blows it up. I can open it in windows mode, but when I exit Blender, it doesn't redraw the desktop. I have to take my mouse and "repaint" the screen.

So, I can get by, but if someone has a suggestion, I'm more than willing to try it. Having to take a blank windows and drag it around on the screen to refresh the desktop kind of sucks.

Thanks!
Mark