PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Transmission

AnLGP
December 15th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I'm looking at the "Peers" section under the "Preferences" tab. It's on a port that says is closed.

Do I need to open this up? If so, how?

Thanks.

taurus
December 15th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Is your computer connected to a router? If it is, then you need to get into your router and open up the port that transmission is using, 51413 I believe.

AnLGP
December 15th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks.

AnLGP
December 15th, 2008, 09:27 PM
The specified port(s) are being used by other configurations. Please check your configurations of Remote Management, Port forwarding, Port Triggering, UPnP Port Mapping table, RIP, and Internet connection type

I try to do this and that's the error I get. I started and ended on the port that transmission said was closed and that's what I got.

Any advice?

mkvnmtr
December 15th, 2008, 09:44 PM
When I used tran, I got the same thing. I would still get the maximum speed that my ISP gives. I have no idea why. I never changed it and never port fowarded and still get good speeds. I am down loading now and the speedi is fine. I now use KTorrent And like it better. I wish I knew why I can download so well with qa closed port.

AnLGP
December 15th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Yeah this says I'm going at 2.7KB/s and I have a high speed connection. I figured opening a port might help.

Any reason for me to switch torrent clients?

dstin1
January 30th, 2009, 07:32 PM
You are going to have the same problem with any client you use in win on linux here is a guide to open ports in your router

http://portforward.com/routers.htm

dorkdork777
January 30th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Same here - the port is "closed" yet I can still get line speed.

It's a possibility that it's just the torrent that's slow. I'd suggest trying a torrent of a popular Linux distro - like Ubuntu (http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.10/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso.torrent) - as these are extremely fast torrents, and will give you the best speed BitTorrent has to offer. If you're still getting poor speeds with that torrent, then it's time for some router fiddling.