PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kubuntu 10.1 Intrepid Ibex & PC hardware questions

MB5324
December 15th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I am trying to reuse some old hardware, and play with Linux (previously used FreeBSD) once again after many years of M.W. perpetual updates, viruses, trojans, spyware, and other threats, the blue screen of death; it is time to move on, now that the desktop on Linux is as good or better then anything M.W. has to offer.

Hardware: I have a Tyan Tiger 230T (S2507T) main board with dual Pentium III Tualatin’s 1.4GHz (512MB cache) and 2GB of SDRAM (which is max), and an AGP NVIDIA 512MB graphics card, and a Sound Blaster Audigy SE sound card.

I already installed Kubuntu 8.10 desktop version and remade a non generic kernel that fits my hardware profile/configuration, it works, will most likely repeat this process until I get the most optimized kernel possible for the hardware that I have. I intend to add a SATA controller and a Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive, Parallels Workstation 2.2 for Windows & Linux…

Well having said that, I since then added EVGA 512-A8-N559 GeForce 7600GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card, SATA SIIG High-speed 4-channel PCI-to-Serial ATA Host Adapter (not sure this was the best choice) and a Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive.

12/04/08 I had a setback I destroyed the system on my old hard drive the instructions (http://www.linux.com/feature/152592) for making an mirror image of the old drive onto the new one was not quite up to snuff, I resisted using a image software, in hindsight I should have done what I was thinking of doing, my first intuition, oh well live and learn. I just did a fresh reinstall of Kubuntu 8.10 desktop version, updated all required updates, installed FireFox, Opera internet browsers, I will recompile my kernel this weekend (I found this to be to be a good guide: http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_ubuntu, why you ask, because it mostly worked the first time). I do not care to much for generic kernels with all the unnecessary hardware drivers which my machine does not have, see my point.

Q1: 12/04/08 [At this point I have few questions so that I can save some time in rebuilding or recompiling x386 kernel based on Intel Tualatin’s (Pentium III-S (512 KiB L2-Cache): 1400 MHz), the first question is when I copy my generic kernel .config file, can I manually edit what I need verses what was selected in the generic .config file without damaging anything in the .config file. I find the FreeBSD way of configuring very easy and simple.]

Q2: 12/15/08 [Few days ago 12/04 I reinstalled Kubuntu 8.10 desktop version and updates and started to experience many lockouts, crashes, software strokes/crashes…is it KDE (4.x) desktop or NVIDIA chipset that is causing intermittent software strokes?] I resisted posting for help but at this point common sense is wining over pride, I want to get a stable system up and running, I want to stop wasting my time. Once I can get a stable systems up and running I will install Parallels Workstation 2.2 for Linux, since I would like to use OS X as well.

Q3: 12/15/08 [Do I download a server based Ubuntu or desktop based Ubuntu, I will be using the PC/system as a desktop? With which do I get to take full advantage of my resources i.e. memory and CPU speed?]

Again my main concerns or interest are to get 100% out of my old heap of hardware collection, especially the dual Intel Tualatin’s, I want to get back into writing code, so I need a stable system for this, my background is/was mostly BSD Unix, FreeBSD, System V Unix, RTR Unix and SCO, but mostly drivers and proprietary database design…I will be adding this hardware http://www.efixusa.com/pages.php?pID=4&CDpath=0 since I would like to develop software for the apple based OS X system, it would be very nice to have Mac OS X v10.5.4 running simultaneously with Kubuntu Linux.

Any comments advise suggestions are acceptable, if you respond to my inquiries thanks in advance.