PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 7.10 Unleashed

grewolf
December 15th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I have purchased the Book Ubuntu 7.10 Unleashed (purchased when I was using Gutsy Gibbon) and was wondering would the majority of the information in the book be applicable to Intrepid Ibex? Am I still able to use this book to assist in my learning and use the examples in the book?

Mark_in_Hollywood
December 15th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Yes, you may use some examples, BUT, don't edit system files without first asking at this forum. I would be careful of sound files, IRC files, but OpenOffice, Firefox, Games, feel free to experiment. JUST REMEMBER, Linux is experimental software, so BACKUP anything you don't want to lose.

howefield
December 15th, 2008, 08:03 PM
The problem is you don't know what is still valid from what is not. So that makes it a little dangerous to use ;)

Duck2006
December 15th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I have purchased the Book Ubuntu 7.10 Unleashed (purchased when I was using Gutsy Gibbon) and was wondering would the majority of the information in the book be applicable to Intrepid Ibex? Am I still able to use this book to assist in my learning and use the examples in the book?

Yes most of it should be ok.

Michael.Godawski
December 15th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Read a good adventure story or a detective story, but not a linux book. :p

The linux experience is done by doing... read the forums, break your machine. Practical experience is worth much more than theories in a book; just my 2 cents.

Toshibawarrior
December 15th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Read a good adventure story or a detective story, but not a linux book. :p

The linux experience is done by doing... read the forums, break your machine. Practical experience is worth much more than theories in a book; just my 2 cents.

Correct, the best way to learn Linux is to experiment and practice...lots of trial&error here...Linux books are nice to collect on a bookshelf...but they're tricky to actually help you learn.

So just try to use the forums and blogs (check my signature for an example) and practice a lot! :)

CatKiller
December 15th, 2008, 08:41 PM
The fundamentals haven't changed for ages. X, networking and sound have all undergone some major changes in the last little while, and are likely to change again as the work progresses.

Command line stuff, filesystem structure, permissions, and the overall mindset will all be the same. The graphical tools that you might be asked to use may well have changed, though.

Don't treat your book (or any book, for that matter) as gospel. Use it as a starting point for experimentation and study, rather than the goal, and you should still learn a lot. Post in the forum if you have a specific question.

grewolf
December 15th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Thank you all for your posts. I have been experimenting a plenty. I have broken my machine more times than I wish to admit. I purchased the book to have in a central location some of the more standard things as the command line and information on the ip tables for firestarter and how to use them. I have linked some great web pages in the past but alas when I broke my machine I wasn't able to access them. I was getting quite good with Gutsy Gibbon. I wasn't sure if it(the book) would still be a good jumping off point.