PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thanks for wireless

kenagleka
December 15th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I am still stumbling my way through this forum. I am learning though. I'm posting here because it seems to be the best place I can find. If it is inappropriate here please tell me where to go. (OK, I know what you are thinking)
I have been working with Ubuntu for almost two years and have had a great experience. The fly in the ointment has been wireless. I never could achieve a wireless connection - mostly due to my ignorance of wireless and wireless terminology coupled. I read a post here that said the best way to make a wireless connection was to start with a clean install.
I did that. Installed Ubuntu 8:10 on my old Dell Inspiron 4150 laptop. Everything worked out of the box. The amazing thing was that after I installed the driver for my wireless card Ubuntu jumped in and did the rest. I had wireless effortlessly.
That folks is the reason for this post. Obviously connecting wirelessly has always been a problem for Ubuntu. A lot of "somebodies" out there went to work on that and fixed it. My hat is off to them and they have some of the most sincere thanks I have ever offered anyone. Thank you all you unknown programmers and to this forum for bringing thins together. KME

ieee488
December 15th, 2008, 04:23 PM
It's not just the guys/gals at Ubuntu.

You should give credit to the people who work on the Linux drivers for the various chipsets. They deserve just as much credit if not more so.