PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jumpy video in flash playback?

Vyizis
December 15th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I know im not using the fastest machine in the world, asus eee box. But i am surprised that i am unable to play bbc iplayer with smooth video. Does anyone have any ideas how i might be able to speed it up at all?

philinux
December 15th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Flash is fairly processor intensive. Mine gets up to 50% when playing flash. Some vids are better than others too.

Have you got flash 10?

Vyizis
December 15th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Yeah tried downloading flash 10 from adobe's website and installed that. It was still jumpy and system update didnt like it saying it had a newer version.

philinux
December 15th, 2008, 01:43 PM
If desktop effects are enabled change it to none. Sysem>prefs>appearance>visual effects = none

Vyizis
December 15th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Ok, i will give that a go.

Vyizis
December 15th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Its still the same with the effects switched off.

philinux
December 15th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Then it's down to the graphics card built in the eee.

Vyizis
December 15th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Intel GMA 950, using the standard drivers. would the intel drivers be worth trying?

philinux
December 15th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Ah you've not installed any drivers yet then.

What does system>admin>hardware drivers offer?

Vyizis
December 15th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I am just using the default drivers installed by ubuntu and it seems to work in that compiz works and basic 3d games work just having difficulty with flash! Hardware drivers just says there are no proprietary drivers in use on this system.

philinux
December 15th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I am just using the default drivers installed by ubuntu and it seems to work in that compiz works and basic 3d games work just having difficulty with flash! Hardware drivers just says there are no proprietary drivers in use on this system.

Might be worth trying the intel drivers then. Should be able to download them from intel's website. Wether it will improve flash is another thing.

There are a few mods/users on here who have the eee why not make a new thread on the lines of.

How do I get intel drivers on my eee pc. Then in the thread explain the flash problem.