PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu laptop to server sync?

BlakeM
December 15th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I'd like to start by saying I don't use forums much at all. I prefer to find answers by searching the web and forums like these. I think this would be about my fourth post to any forum ever. If I make any mistakes please let me know :P.

I'm not looking for specific answers, more like an indication if what I want to do with Ubuntu is possible and if so, how difficult it would be.

I'll be a med student next year and my ultimate goal is to use an eee pc at uni and a desktop/server PC at home (eee pcs don't look like the most comfortable computers to work on). What I aim to do is have the two computers synchronized so that all work, emails, files etc. are up to date at all times. I've read about Synplicity and Dropbox and this is almost exactly what I am looking for.

My complaint with Synplicity is that it doesn't work on Linux (slight problem ;-)). Dropbox is perfect, but limited to one folder only and also in the size of data you can store.

I've also read a bit into FTP but I must admit I haven't used it before. I do, however, intend to build a server.

Is there any way I can use currently available open source software (which can be used with Ubuntu) that can replicate the services provided by Dropbox and Synplicity?

BlakeM
December 15th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Ok, I think I found a good thread. Just wasn't searching for the right things. Moderator please feel free to delete this thread :).

caue.rego
July 29th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Delete might be a good idea, but you could leave that decision to the moderator and meanwhile do a favor for people like me, who fall in this topic through an external search, and help us by posting the link you've found! I'd appreciate it.

Although I'd guess you've found about rsync and its variates, and although I know how to use it, I'm trying to find something more automated like you've described. Right now, I'm testing out unison (again), grsync (which is not automatation at all), conduit (for first time) and GAdmin-Rsync, which are things I've found on Add/Remove.

asmoore82
July 29th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I use rsync over ssh with keys and Grsync -
No external "cloud" services required;
No passwords sent over the wire;
and everything is well encrypted.

The Cog
July 29th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Ok, I think I found a good thread. Just wasn't searching for the right things. Moderator please feel free to delete this thread :).

You might post a link to that thread for others to follow.

I use rsync (over SSH) for this. Here is the script I use:

#!/bin/sh
LOCALDIR=$HOME/Sync/
REMOTEDIR=$HOME/Sync/
if /sbin/route -n | /bin/grep -q '^192.168.1.0 '
then
SERVER=192.168.1.103
else
SERVER=<my public address>
fi
echo Syncing with $SERVER
echo Sending...
rsync --rsh=ssh -aizuKL $LOCALDIR $SERVER:$REMOTEDIR
echo Fetching...
rsync --rsh=ssh -aizuKL $SERVER:$REMOTEDIR $LOCALDIR
It syncs directory ~/Sync with the server, updating in both directions. It checks to see if it's at home or away, and uses the appropriate server address.

If I make a link in ~/Sync to other directories, it syncs them too.