PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] [SOLVED] Sager's NP2096 & Ubuntu: Does it "cut the mustard"

GumpTron
December 15th, 2008, 10:42 AM
To All,

Hello and thank you for taking the time to visit this thread. Not long ago I posted a similar thread describing my new notebook and asking for advice and opinions. I have returned to tell everyone that my new Dell notebook broke two weeks after purchasing it. I sent that hunk of junk back to Dell and they promptly gave back my money. My head was swimming as I reentered the notebook shopping world. Luckily I came across a few companies like Xoticpc, Sager, Pro Star and M-Tech. I have decided to go with a 15.4 inch Sager notebook and I would like to know if it will handle Ubuntu well.

Notebook Specs.

I.)Display: 15.4" WSXGA+ LCD with Super Glossy Surface (1680X1050)
II.)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P9500 / 6MB L2 Cache, 2.53GHz, 1066MHz FSB lower wattage = longer battery life
III.)Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT Graphics with 512MB DDR2 Video Memory
IV.)4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 X 2048MB
V.)250GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive
VI.)8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive
VII.)Intel Wi-Fi Link 5100AGN 802.11A/B/G/N wish it was the 5300
VIII.)Internal Bluetooth V2.0 + EDR Module
IX.)Smart Li-ION Battery Pack (9 Cells)
X.)Fingerprint Reader

Questions:
1.)I am most interested in using Ubuntu for its aesthetic advantages. Please let me know if my video card will allow me to use all of Ubuntus awesome visual effects. Effects like the 3D cube and the animations etc.

2.)Should I expect driver issues with any of the components? Maybe even a little bit?

3.) Will Ubuntu recognize all my RAM?

Thank you for taking the time to read through everything. If you've come this far, maybe you're willing to come a little further. Please let me know what you think of the build related to the price. I am paying $1,430 for this system. This includes a three year warranty and Vista 64bit.

I want to close this post with a message. I hope you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and posting your opinions regarding my system. ):P

GumpTron
December 15th, 2008, 11:34 AM
bump?!?

GumpTron
December 16th, 2008, 04:21 AM
anyone?

Tatty
December 16th, 2008, 04:30 AM
1.)I imagine so. I can run quite a lot of compiz effects with my laptop's Geforce Go 6100 with little slowdown, although it does get rather hot when I do, so i tend not to bother. I could run the beryl cube on my old 1.5Ghz P4 with a radeon 7200 gfx card.

2.) Again I imainge they should work, hardware compatibility in linux gets better all the time.
I do not have an in depth knowledge of hardware/ubuntu compatibility, but if you google your components you could come up with some answers.

3.) Yes, if you install the 64bit version.

xjcannonx
December 16th, 2008, 04:36 AM
You will definately get better support for wireless in 8.10 and, but i suspect that the graphics card may give you some trouble(at least it seems that way with a lot of people) just make sure you get the latest nvidia drivers, the current one from nvidia i believe is version 180.

jpoRS
December 16th, 2008, 04:43 AM
System76 (http://www.system76.com) Laptops are Sager-built. I have a Pangolin (same as a NP780). So I suspect that the Sager equivalent will be fine, though I do suggest System76. All they do is Ubuntu, so the support will be a lot better.

Either way, good luck and happy shopping. Between the holidays and the economy, you should be able to get some good deals.

jim