PDA

View Full Version : Easy cross-compatibility

linuxguymarshall
December 14th, 2008, 02:49 AM
I am just about to move on from my console/terminal/whatever you want to call it C++ programs and start developing GUI apps. I would like to not have to do major rewrites of my code to compile it on Linux, OSX, and WinBlows as I constantly switch from OS to OS depending on the day and machine available. So does anyone know of something that I can compile with the same source on all OSs and not have to rewrite. Thanks.

I thought about GTK+ but did not know if I would have to rewrite or not.

Epikuma24
December 14th, 2008, 02:59 AM
read http://www.agner.org/optimize/

linuxguymarshall
December 14th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Not quite what I was looking for. I was more looking for some libraries but that is a start

snova
December 14th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Qt. It's very comprehensive, as a widget toolkit, utility library (hashes, vectors, and whatnot), networking toolkit, IPC, OpenGL, scripting, SQL, HTML engine (WebKit), XML parser...

I like it. :)

CptPicard
December 14th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Yeah, Qt might come closest, but in C++ you will in the general case more or less need to rewrite for each OS as you move away from the standard language and start using nontrivial libraries or OS dependencies... modularizing your code well will alleviate this somewhat though.

scourge
December 14th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Yeah, Qt might come closest, but in C++ you will in the general case more or less need to rewrite for each OS as you move away from the standard language and start using nontrivial libraries or OS dependencies... modularizing your code well will alleviate this somewhat though.

Have you actually written Qt apps in C++ lately? I ask because Qt 4.x has great cross-platform libraries which effectively remove the need to write platform-dependent code. I'm working on a fairly large GUI project with a friend, and we only have one Windows-specific preprocessor macro (for exporting and importing a library), the rest is 100% cross-platform.

CptPicard
December 14th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Ok, I take your word for it :) You still are essentially using Qt as all of your stdlib :)

Jonas thomas
December 14th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I am just about to move on from my console/terminal/whatever you want to call it C++ programs and start developing GUI apps. I would like to not have to do major rewrites of my code to compile it on Linux, OSX, and WinBlows as I constantly switch from OS to OS depending on the day and machine available. So does anyone know of something that I can compile with the same source on all OSs and not have to rewrite. Thanks.

I thought about GTK+ but did not know if I would have to rewrite or not.

I'm also very interested in cross-platform programming. I do/did a lot of vb6 programming on the MSW side and I wanted to move away from that and do something that was more cross-platform in C++. After doing a fair amount of research I settled on Code::Blocks for an IDE,wxWidgets for the Gui and wxFormbuilder as a RAD tool.
To be honest, I'm still in the learning phase and it's taking me a lot longer than I would like to get productive, but so far I like what I'm seeing with the tutorials I'm working through. I have loaded this up on an XP box, but most of what I've been doing has been on Linux.
Btw... I found a nice tutorial on wxWigets at http://www.zetcode.com/tutorials/wxwidgetstutorial/

scourge
December 14th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Ok, I take your word for it :) You still are essentially using Qt as all of your stdlib :)

That's a very clever wording. I can't think of many situations where Qt libs wouldn't be enough, unless I'd want to use some unique OS features like Keyring in OSX. But then I'd need platform-specific code no matter what language I use.

snova
December 14th, 2008, 07:40 PM

For which it more than suffices. The STL confuses me and I could never find good docs on it, but Qt makes perfect sense (and the HTML documentation is excellent, and local).