PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] SATA HDD using PCI card in Dell Optiplex GX1

Jeztastic
December 13th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Hi

I am setting up a server on a Dell Optiplex GX1 piii 450. I have a 500 GB SATA HDD, and I have attached it via a SATA - PCI Card. I would like to install straight onto this drive with no other drive attached.

Is this possible? Any other tips? I am not going to bother with RAID at this stage.

Cheers,

Jez

logos34
December 13th, 2008, 08:18 PM
should work...give it a shot. If the Bios fails to recognize the drive, play with different hard disk detect settings.

Sometimes sata pci host adapter cards can allow install but then fail to boot the system. Hopefully that won't happen to you.

Jeztastic
December 13th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Yup, the installer found it. :)

I was worried cos i tried a live disk earlier, and it wasn't recognised then.

Jeztastic
December 13th, 2008, 09:51 PM
OK, as you suggested, the PC will not boot from the SATA HDD. I've tried with SBM as well, and it doesn't recognise it... What now?

logos34
December 13th, 2008, 10:20 PM
hmm. What about booting the ubuntu live cd and at the first menu selecting 'Boot from first hard disk'?

Maybe someone else knows a workaround.

Jeztastic
December 14th, 2008, 12:56 AM
hmm. What about booting the ubuntu live cd and at the first menu selecting 'Boot from first hard disk'?

Boot failed: please press a key to retry

:(

Whatabout grub? Will that recognise it?

logos34
December 14th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Boot failed: please press a key to retry

:(

Whatabout grub? Will that recognise it?

if you have a floppy drive, I'd make a grub boot floppy to find out:
http://www.google.com/url?q=https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto/BootFloppy&sa=X&oi=revisions_result&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&usg=AFQjCNF7_w1B6j9Zv1hTtcwb-XLyxk8hzg

or a grub cd:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Making-a-GRUB-bootable-CD-ROM.html

Jeztastic
December 14th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I tried super grub disk. Is that more or less the same thing? Didn't work either, although I may have been doing the wrong thing...

logos34
December 14th, 2008, 02:11 PM
if sgd didn't work you're probably SOL. Then again maybe another pci sata adapter card with a different controller chipset may work. I don't know if that's an option for you. One workaround would be to connect the drive via USB, but that means a taking a hit speed-wise (again not sure if that's an option given this is a server setup).

sorry, fresh out of ideas...never had to deal with these cards. all I can say is do a little googling and let us know if you find one.

caljohnsmith
December 14th, 2008, 02:23 PM
You could check to see if the SATA drive is even being recognized by BIOS on start up by booting your Super Grub Disk, and at the first main menu press "c" to get the Grub command line; then type in the following without pressing enter:

grub> geometry (hd

And press TAB for tab-completion to see a list of your drives, starting with (hd0). Then to see the size and partitions of a drive such as (hd1), use:

grub> geometry (hd1)

If one of those (hdX) drives is your SATA drive, you can most likely boot it. But if Grub doesn't even show your SATA drive with the above commands, that could mean BIOS doesn't recognize the drive or the drive is not properly configured in your BIOS. How about giving that a shot and let us know the results.

Jeztastic
December 14th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Possible disks are: fd0 hd2 cd

I assume that hd2 is the SATA drive, as I don't have any others connected.

Geometry of hd2 outputs;

drive 0x82: C/H/S = 0/1/15, the number of sectors = 2147483647, LBA

So it recognises the drive - how do I boot?

BTW, I have googled extensively on this already, most people seem to use workarounds with a second HDD, this isn't really an option for me.

caljohnsmith
December 14th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Did the "geometry (hd2)" command show any partitions, or just the size of the drive as you posted? You can try booting the drive by going to the Grub command line again, and enter the following:

grub> rootnoverify (hd2)
grub> map (hd2) (hd0)
grub> map (hd0) (hd2)
grub> chainloader +1
grub> boot
And let me know exactly what happens.

Jeztastic
December 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Did the "geometry (hd2)" command show any partitions, or just the size of the drive as you posted?

Nope, that's everything. Will try booting now...

Jeztastic
December 14th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Did the "geometry (hd2)" command show any partitions, or just the size of the drive as you posted? You can try booting the drive by going to the Grub command line again, and enter the following:

And let me know exactly what happens.

I got the following error messages;

grub> rootnoverify (hd2)
grub> map (hd2) (hd0)
grub> map (hd0) (hd2)
grub> chainloader +1

Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format

grub> boot

Error 8: Kernal must be loaded before booting

caljohnsmith
December 14th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I noticed in your post #11 that Grub reports your SATA drive as having 2147483647 sectors, and since each sector is 512 bytes:

2147483647 * 512 = 1099511627264 bytes = 1.1 TB
So if your SATA drive is really 500 GB, then Grub doesn't detect it correctly, or that could mean the BIOS doesn't detect it correctly. Also, Grub should be able to see the partitions on the drive, which it couldn't. How about booting your Live CD, open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and please post the output of:

sudo fdisk -lu
And for whichever is the SATA drive it lists, do:

sudo xxd -l 2 -p /dev/sda
sudo xxd -s 1049 -l 2 -p /dev/sda
So replace sda above if the SATA drive is a different device. Let me know how that goes.

Jeztastic
December 14th, 2008, 04:32 PM
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -lu

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0001f75d

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 63 972237734 486118836 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 972237735 976768064 2265165 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 972237798 976768064 2265133+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

And for whichever is the SATA drive it lists, do:

Sorry, you've lost me here... am I replacing xxd with the disk identifier?

caljohnsmith
December 14th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Since your SATA drive shows up as sda, you can just use the commands as given:

But I think at this point you most likely have a problem with how your SATA drive is set up in BIOS, because Ubuntu correctly sees the drive as 500 GB and also sees the partitions OK. Yet Grub on start up was not able to see the partitions nor detect the correct drive capacity, and on start up Grub works through the BIOS to access the drives. Can you go into your BIOS and check how you have the SATA drive configured? Some of the HDD-related settings to look for in your BIOS are "auto-detect", LBA, CHS, RAID, AHCI/HCI/EHCI vs. IDE, IDE-emulation, ACPI, DMA, etc. I would try changing any HDD-related settings you have one-by-one and see if that changes how Grub detects the HDD on start up. I would recommend writing down any settings you change so you can revert back to the original values if necessary.

Also, since Grub showed your SATA drive as (hd2) on start up and not as (hd0) or even (hd1), do you have another SATA port you can plug the drive into to see if it changes anything? That might give an important clue what is going on. Anyway, let me know how it goes.