PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Graphics Card advice

jezebel
December 13th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I'm doing a big 'year end cleanup' computer wise. Bought a new motherboard, power supply, processor, and cooler. Have not yet bought a graphics card - I have a hand-me-down Radeon x1300 that I'm hoping to use.

Does this card work well with Ubuntu? Should I get a different card? Which would you recommend?

Thank you,

J.

billgoldberg
December 13th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I'm doing a big 'year end cleanup' computer wise. Bought a new motherboard, power supply, processor, and cooler. Have not yet bought a graphics card - I have a hand-me-down Radeon x1300 that I'm hoping to use.

Does this card work well with Ubuntu? Should I get a different card? Which would you recommend?

Thank you,

J.

My Ati Radeon cards works ok.

It's not big on OpenGL, but compiz fusion works good.

studo77
December 13th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I would try it out.

It might just work. My own experience with ATI cards is not so good, i skipped my X1600 last year for a 8500 Nvidia.
This i did because almost everytime an update of X, Kernel or other core components, gave the result of trial and error for a lot of workarounds to get 3d working (compiz, and speed for the desktop).

With Nvidia the result is much more "working ot of the box".

BUT things may have changed, the quirks might have been worked out. So try it. If it does not go straight away, then you have the chooice of getting Ubuntu to konow more intimately or get Nvidia.

jezebel
December 13th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Hm. Since I have the card, I'll give it a try. But I have a weird set up - dual monitors (one of which has a res of 1440x900). I've had trouble in the past configuring my nvidia 5200 (but it's an old thing, and was cheap to start with).

Yes - thank you. I'll give the Radeon a whirl, and look forward to seeing how compiz works.

HOWEVER - I would still like any suggestions for graphics cards. My budget is only about $150 (I'm not a gamer or power user).

Thanks again.

J.

cotcot
December 13th, 2008, 11:45 AM
If you are not a gamer or power user then I would suggest that 100 $ card will be already very good. (Nvidia or ATI)

jezebel
December 13th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Yeah, not a gamer or power user - but would really like a head-ache free compatible card. I've spent more hours of my life than I like to think about getting my nVidia 5200 crappy card running properly with dual-monitor/wide-screen.

Yoroshiku (thanks!)

J.

Elfy
December 13th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I was recently given a GeForce 6200 - I can't use PCIe cards on this old mobo - it works perfectly well using the 177 driver from hardware drivers, runs compiz - or does when it's turned on :)