PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Connect My Server to the outside world

The.Raptor
December 12th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Hi. I have an old computer that I have set up as a server to learn some stuff. I want to be able to access it from outside my network, but am unsure how to do this. any help would be appreciated.

martien
December 12th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Hi. I have an old computer that I have set up as a server to learn some stuff. I want to be able to access it from outside my network, but am unsure how to do this. any help would be appreciated.
You must have a real ip address and all you need is to install openssh-server and other servers (such as web,ftp,etc. for your needs). If you are behind a router you have to point some ports from the local ip to the static ip address (this that your ISP gave you)

gpsmikey
December 12th, 2008, 11:42 PM
You also need to read the AUP from your ISP to make sure it is OK to have a server (or at least what their policy is on it). Some ISP's get quite nasty when they find someone running a server - others seem to ignore it unless it is attracting a lot of traffic.

mikey

The.Raptor
December 12th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I have the router and the IP. I just need to forward the ports so that when I type in my IP, I get to my server's hosted pages.

My setup:

[OUTSIDE WORLD]<->[LINKSYS INTERNET PHONE ADAPTER]<->[DUMB ROUTER]<->[SERVER]

the dumb router has no config interface, so when I type 192.168.1 into my browser I get to the phone adapter.

What ports do I forward or what?

Also, they wont mind as I am only using it to test some stuff and learn. (read the AUP)

martien
December 13th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I have the router and the IP. I just need to forward the ports so that when I type in my IP, I get to my server's hosted pages.

My setup:

[OUTSIDE WORLD]<->[LINKSYS INTERNET PHONE ADAPTER]<->[DUMB ROUTER]<->[SERVER]

the dumb router has no config interface, so when I type 192.168.1 into my browser I get to the phone adapter.

What ports do I forward or what?

Also, they wont mind as I am only using it to test some stuff and learn. (read the AUP)
Well edit your "[dumb router]" configuration and change it to give adresses to 192.168.2... and so the both networks will be fine and you could access your "[dumb router]" and your "[LINKSYS INTERNET PHONE ADAPTER]" at the same time.