PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Forums Beginners Team Education Focus Group: Call for instructors

cprofitt
December 12th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Hello Developers:

The Beginners Team Education Focus Group is looking for 'instructors' to offer 'courses' to Ubuntu users. These courses could be forum or wiki based only, irc only or use a combination of the two formats. (I am considering developing some content that could be delivered by local Ubuntu LoCo teams as well)

Hypothetical topics:

Python Basics
Perl Basics
Erlang Basics
Haskel Basics

The goal would be to give more information about the general process than is typically found in forum posts.

Please feel free to ask questions in this thread or contact me directly.

More information:
wiki page (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/FocusGroups/Education)

mssever
December 12th, 2008, 08:39 PM
pmasiar has some useful links in his signature, including a Python-learning wiki which he maintains.

nvteighen
December 12th, 2008, 09:50 PM
pmasiar has some useful links in his signature, including a Python-learning wiki which he maintains.
Yes, but an Ubuntu Forums driven course wouldn't hurt if done by the right people... Why not?

mssever
December 12th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Yes, but an Ubuntu Forums driven course wouldn't hurt if done by the right people... Why not?
I was merely suggesting that pmasiar's materials might be a good starting point.

cprofitt
December 13th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Resources and wikis are good... but I would, for programming, like to have some 'courses' in which new folks would get assignments that would assist them in learning the content... the assignments would be 'reviewed' by the 'instructor'... and potentially the instructor could do a weekly IRC session for people with questions.

Wybiral
December 13th, 2008, 05:13 AM
I could probably help out some with the Python part, but I don't know that I have enough time these days to actually schedule assignments and stuff (I'm also obligatorily stuck in 2.5-land and probably wont be making the transition to 2.6/3.0 for a while).

pmasiar
December 13th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Resources and wikis are good... but I would, for programming, like to have some 'courses' in which new folks would get assignments that would assist them in learning the content... the assignments would be 'reviewed' by the 'instructor'... and potentially the instructor could do a weekly IRC session for people with questions.

I have no problem if people with time do that - but (for me) it looks like awfully lot of handholding and wasted time. If anyone wants to learn, tutorials are linked, just read them. Tasks are posted on wiki, go and solve them - and ask questions if any. There are even sites which will test output of your solution and tell if it is correct - but it is usually obvious, for training tasks, and not an issue.

Programming is not for sissies - you have to be self-starter, able to wrestle with problems by yourself.

But if anyone wants to write anything, teach anyone - please do so. I just don't feel that problem is in lack of resources: problem is in lack of drive by wannabe students. Which is fine, not all people have to be programmers ;-)