PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] restoring GRUB problem

fletcham
December 12th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Hello,

I attempted to set up a dual boot last night by installing XP on a hard drive that already has Ubuntu. There was 25GB of unpartitioned space on the HDD which i installed XP on. Everything went fine until I restored GRUB. To restore GRUB i did the following:

1. Boot into ubuntu using the live CD
2. Open terminal and enter the code: 'sudo grub'
3. then i entered 'find /boot/grub/stage1' which showed (hd0,1)
4. then i entered 'root (hd0,1)'
5. then i entered 'setup (hd0)'
6. then i entered 'quit'
7. then i entered 'exit'

I thought this was it but when I restarted the computer it went into the GRUB menu and had about 11 different option to select. I tried to select every option and for each one I get the message - 'Error 17 - cannot mount selected partition'. If i selected the ' other operating systems' option it says - 'Error 11 - cannot mount selected partition'. This was so frustrating to happen at half three in the morning!!!

If i press 'e' on the options in Grub to edit the command it shows root (hd0,2). Shouldn't this say (hd0,1). Im stuck as to how to sort this out so any help would be very much appreciated.

By the way im pretty hopeless on computer, but learning, so please keep it fairly simple.

Cheers everyone

Fletch:popcorn:

louieb
December 12th, 2008, 12:29 PM
...it shows root (hd0,2). Shouldn't this say (hd0,1).
Great that you got this far. Your close. Highlight the root (hd0,2) line and press e.

Edit the the line to root (hd0,1) press enter then press b to boot and see what it does

tomtom1982
December 12th, 2008, 03:27 PM
An other (and much easier way) to restore grub is to use the SuperGrubDisk.

There you only have to choose what you want to do and the supergrubdisk does it for you.

You can find the ISO-Image at

http://download.linux-live-cd.org/Super_Grub_Disk/download/binaries/sgd/cdrom/super_grub_disk_0.9689.iso

fletcham
December 12th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I

fletcham
December 12th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I tried what louieb said to do and it booted up with no problems. Cheers louie!
What should i do now to permanently fix the pronlem?

Shall i use the super grub cd thing?

thanks again

Fletch:popcorn:

logos34
December 12th, 2008, 06:27 PM
gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

change the 'root' line to match

fletcham
December 12th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Sorted, i can now boot into ubuntu again. I cant boot into windows tho. The only option on the grub menu is other operating systems and if i select that it says - 'Error 11 - cannot mount selected partition'.

What do i need to do now to be able to boot up windows?

Also, how do i remove some of the options from the grub menu. There are like 11 options to select. Can i not have it set up so I can either select ubuntu or XP.

Cheers for all your help, I'd be screwed otherwise!

Fletch :popcorn:

Duck2006
December 12th, 2008, 07:35 PM
From the terminal

sudo fdisk -l

see what partition on then add these lines to your menu.lst

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

title windoze xp
root (hdx.y) "the output of fdisk for where win is use hear."
chainloader +1

Some info on grub.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm

fletcham
December 12th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks for that link Duck, all sorted now.

Nice one fellas!!!!