PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] System management alternative

folke
December 12th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Hi,

I am looking in to an alternative to our old webmin installations.

Is the only option out there Landscape?
There are a lot of isp type of web apps but I can't really find anything on system management.

What I am looking for is somthing that can handle apt management and such.

--
Regards Folke
Sweden

gtdaqua
December 12th, 2008, 10:21 AM
You can turn on automatic security updates so they are downloaded and installed automatically.

Other than that, what exactly are you looking for?

vpsville
December 12th, 2008, 04:39 PM
In all seriousness, I recommend the command line. Webmin is not far away from it and Ubuntu makes the command line quite easy.

lykwydchykyn
December 12th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I've heard a lot of Debian admins use cfengine, but I've never been able to get my head around it.

There's also puppet.

I do things the hard way still with cssh.

Think about it, though; if there were a good free alternative, why would Canonical be using Landscape as a selling point for support contracts?

folke
December 16th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I've heard a lot of Debian admins use cfengine, but I've never been able to get my head around it.

There's also puppet.

I do things the hard way still with cssh.

Think about it, though; if there were a good free alternative, why would Canonical be using Landscape as a selling point for support contracts?

Well, that's true. I was just checking out the alternatives.
From my point of view I think that Landscape is perfect if you want support from canonical. I am not saying that it is a bad thing.

We are today checking our servers with Zenoss core. And I will see if I can use Nagios check for apt status.

--
Regards Folke

gtdaqua
December 16th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Well, that's true. I was just checking out the alternatives.
From my point of view I think that Landscape is perfect if you want support from canonical. I am not saying that it is a bad thing.

We are today checking our servers with Zenoss core. And I will see if I can use Nagios check for apt status.

--
Regards Folke

I use Zenoss Core too. Its production-grade and brilliant. But its a 'monitoring' system and not 'management' system. It definitely gives 'eyes' on what you have but not 'hands'. But again, that is not the purpose of Zenoss.

Canonical offers Landscape as a service and from the looks, its brilliant. If you got some dosh, then go for it.