PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] If you're having problems installing, use a CD-R instead of CD-RW

Adamantus
December 12th, 2008, 05:43 AM
I tried installing multiple distros for about a month and kept running into problems. The isntalls kept freezing at different points in the process (usually at the beginning). People gave lots of explanations but none of them ever worked. I always checked the hash and made sure the CD had no defects, but nothing worked.

In a last ditch effort, I tried burning to a CD-R (I had been using CD-RW's). What do you know, it worked. I've tried it on several distros and every install has worked. In fact, to test the problem, I've tried the exact same image on both a CD-R and different brands of CD-RW's, and the CD-RW's always failed while the CD-R's worked. Granted, CD-RW's may work for a lot of people, but I'm just making this post as a suggestion. If everything else seems to be failing, try a CD-R. It has made the difference for me.

theozzlives
December 12th, 2008, 05:48 AM
I agree, CD-Rs are better, they are more expensive in the long run but better.

Kellemora
December 12th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Hi Adamantus

Very GOOD advice!

CD-RW's are NOT SAFE for important data storage or backup either!

We learned the hard way! Seems like data stored on them has a very short shelf-life! They were tested on a different machine before being stored and they all read A-OK no problems. After storing them for less than 1/4 we found many that could not be read by anything. Image data is the worst!

Things we need to back up for a long time, we BURN normal CD's very slowly, like at 4. Things we are just shuffling around for a month or so, we may burn at 16 but never faster.

We finally got rid of all the RW's by using them to send data out of the office that would be used right away.
All I can say is Good Riddance to those dreaded things!

TTUL
Gary

Duck2006
December 12th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Silver cd's have a life of round 25 years, or so they say, and gold have a life of 75 years, don't know if thats still true today.

Or if you can boot from a usb flash drive you can install from there.

www.pendrivelinux.com

Rudy507
December 12th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Very interesting. I haven't thought of this, but when I tried installing a few weeks ago and it failed, I just decided the issue had to be a defective CD. I'll try to pick up some CD-Rs next week.

Thanks for the advice / suggestion! Oh the things you learn....

sneeks
December 12th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Silver cd's have a life of round 25 years, or so they say, and gold have a life of 75 years, don't know if thats still true today.

Or if you can boot from a usb flash drive you can install from there.

www.pendrivelinux.com

dont know about this in the real world my friend,some of the older cd's i have barely lasted 10 yrs,and some of the ones that i burnt myself didn't even reach 5.
on the whole though,if you keep them in a cool dry place,i think modern cds should see about 20,ask me in a few years though...lol

Duck2006
December 13th, 2008, 12:26 AM
dont know about this in the real world my friend,some of the older cd's i have barely lasted 10 yrs,and some of the ones that i burnt myself didn't even reach 5.
on the whole though,if you keep them in a cool dry place,i think modern cds should see about 20,ask me in a few years though...lol

This way the info they gave out when cd/w came out, when they were x1 in speed and cost round $60,000 a long time ago. Wow been that long so soon!!