PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Clean install of 8.10 while keeping existing partitions..

akelsall
December 12th, 2008, 04:40 AM
I'm currently running 8.04 and want to upgrade to 8.10. I have separate /, swap, and /home partitions. In addtion to these, I have several other partitions, (e.g. /music, /photos, /computer) and I don't want to wipe these out during the clean install.

What is the safest way to do a fresh install (not an upgrade from 8.04, but a fresh install of 8.10) to prevent my other partitions from getting wiped out?

Thanks,

Andy

aheckler
December 12th, 2008, 04:45 AM
When you go to install, make sure the "Format" box for those partitions is unchecked.

cariboo907
December 12th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Just to expand on what the PP said, when you get to the partitioning section choose Manual and only format /, make sure you set mount points for the rest of the partitions and you should be OK.

Jim

mdebusk
December 12th, 2008, 06:11 AM
What is the safest way to do a fresh install (not an upgrade from 8.04, but a fresh install of 8.10) to prevent my other partitions from getting wiped out?

Print out the output of:
sudo fdisk -l
Keep it handy. It might save your butt. (It's saved mine.) You'll be able to tell which partitions to leave unchecked when the install wants to format.

akelsall
December 12th, 2008, 03:06 PM
...when you get to the partitioning section choose Manual and only format /, make sure you set mount points for the rest of the partitions and you should be OK.

Thanks Jim. I have a few follow-up questions if you don't mind.

So, what happens with my /home and swap partitions? Will they be left intact?

Concerning your comment about setting the mount points, I'm not 100% clear on this. If I have several other partitions currently in use (e.g. /photos, /music, etc), when I set those mount points, is the data currently on those partitions left intact, or is it wiped out?

Am I correct in saying the the new kernal (8.10) will be installed in it's entirety on just the / then?

Thanks,

Andy

akelsall
December 17th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Well, I completed the upgrade and it only took about 25 minutes. For details on the upgrade, please see my posting under Installs and Upgrades:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6387248#post6387248

Here are my general impressions so far (after a week of running 8.10):

Boots a LOT faster than Hardy.

Fixed my video card, so I can now use Compiz!!

Fixed my issue with VirtualBox (couldn't access the 'Net from my WinXP guest before upgrading to 8.10).

Tabs in Nautilus!! Great idea!!!

akelsall
December 18th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Bit the bullet and went forward with the upgrade. All went well. See the link below for all the details:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1013990