PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Rhythmbox and file tags

mikeyd612
December 12th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Hey guys, I've been using Ubuntu for about a year now and I've finally decided to get my music collection under control. My music has come from many different sources so there is no consistency to any of it. I imported it all to Rhythmbox and a lot of it ended up in the "Unknown" category. So after a couple days of editing the Rhythmbox tags for artist, album, track number, etc; I got everything in it's proper place. The question is this: Can you edit the actual file tags based on Rhythmbox information for back up purposes? I would hate to have to go through all that work again if my system was compromised. Basically I want my music files to be ready to re-import with a minimum of fuss. Thanks

Existentialist
December 15th, 2008, 09:52 AM
The tag files are stored as a part of the individual music file. The tags will not be lost unless you remove them or erase the song.

For future reference, there are programs that make tagging a little quicker. I recently started using Picard (http://musicbrainz.org/doc/PicardTagger) to organize my tags, and rewrite the file names.

kostkon
December 16th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Also, EasyTag is a good option for a tagger.