PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] using ssh

pshootr
December 12th, 2008, 12:32 AM
I want to use putty to connect to my server, but I am unsure how to do this. I read on a site that "echo server1.example.com > /etc/hostname
/etc/init.d/hostname.sh start" should start ssh on the server. But when I put in "echo server1.example.com > /etc/hostname" It tells me permission denied. I am logged in as root when I try this. Any ideahs?

bodhi.zazen
December 12th, 2008, 12:49 AM
No, that is not how ssh works.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSHHowto

Make darned sure you secure the server:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AdvancedOpenSSH

handydan918
December 12th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I want to use putty to connect to my server, but I am unsure how to do this. I read on a site that "echo server1.example.com > /etc/hostnameFirst, are you using windows? If not, you don't need puTTY. Second, the "echo" command you quoted contains "server1.example.com" which probably isn't exactly what you want to paste into a terminal, unless your server is really assigned the name of "hostname"...

/etc/init.d/hostname.sh start" should start ssh on the server.Not as far as I know...try
sudo /etc/init.d/ssh start
But when I put in "echo server1.example.com > /etc/hostname" It tells me permission denied. I am logged in as root when I try this. Any ideahs?
Yeah, tell me what you mean by "I am logged in as root..."

pshootr
December 12th, 2008, 01:09 AM
No, that is not how ssh works.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSHHowto

Make darned sure you secure the server:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AdvancedOpenSSH

Thank you for the links/heads up. All pc's on the network are behind a router. Is this secure enough?

bodhi.zazen
December 12th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Thank you for the links/heads up. All pc's on the network are behind a router. Is this secure enough?

Only if :

1. You trust the users on your LAN.

And

2. You do not forward port 22 (or other port if you changed the port) from your server to the internet.

pshootr
December 12th, 2008, 01:20 AM
First, are you using windows? If not, you don't need puTTY. Second, the "echo" command you quoted contains "server1.example.com" which probably isn't exactly what you want to paste into a terminal, unless your server is really assigned the name of "hostname"...Not as far as I know...try

After I installed the server I set password for root. So when I log on I use root instead of micky. I assume this means I won't have to type su or sudo before each command?

albinootje
December 12th, 2008, 01:22 AM
As long as your users refrain from using simple passwords, and you do some work by reading how to secure your ssh-connections, and if you're router is not suffering from some well-known security-bug in its firmware, then you're in pretty good shape.
Of course you should also check your security-updates in Ubuntu from time to time.

pshootr
December 12th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Only if :

1. You trust the users on your LAN.

And

2. You do not forward port 22 (or other port if you changed the port) from your server to the internet.

Ok good thanks. Yeah this is a home network.

pshootr
December 12th, 2008, 02:28 AM
First, are you using windows? If not, you don't need puTTY. Second, the "echo" command you quoted contains "server1.example.com" which probably isn't exactly what you want to paste into a terminal, unless your server is really assigned the name of "hostname"...Not as far as I know...try

I want to use windows to connect to my ubuntu server using ssh.

I assighned a hostname during the install of the server, and used it in the command.

when I try
sudo /etc/init.d/ssh start I get "no such directory. Though I chose to install ssh during server install. I don't get it.

albinootje
December 12th, 2008, 02:35 AM
sudo apt-get install ssh
will install the openssh-server package

pshootr
December 12th, 2008, 02:50 AM
sudo apt-get install ssh
will install the openssh-server package

Seems that ssh did not intall for some reason even though I chose to install it during the server install. May be the files are not on the disk and NEED to be downloaded. Anyway, thanks for the tip. I have another problem though, I can not access the net from the server yet. I have configured my network and can ping the router from the server, but no internet. I assume it is a dns issue. I am a little confused here. I added "nameserver 72.43.76.132" which is the dns server other pc's use to access the net. still no go.

albinootje
December 12th, 2008, 02:59 AM
If you think it's a DNS-issue, then what gives pinging a public ip-address (which normally answer ping-requests) ?