PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Java Windows Occasionally Blank

firestormx37
December 11th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I have been having a problem with java for quite some time now. I am currently running 8.04 ubuntu, but have experienced this in earlier versions as well. The problem only happens occasionally. I have experienced this with almost anything that uses java, from programs such as Matlab, to java running in firefox. I am able to run java fine for the majority of the time, but occasionally when opening a new window, such as a dialog box, options window, etc. the window shows up blank (either all white or all gray). Usually I can get the window to load by closing it and opening it again, but sometimes it takes 10 tries before it successfully opens. I have searched around on other threads and google and not been able to find anything that describes this problem. Does anyone know what is happening or how to fix it? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

otc242
December 11th, 2008, 11:14 PM
do you use compiz? if so, try without it, should work.

Michael.Godawski
December 11th, 2008, 11:17 PM
What version of Java are you using?

java -version

firestormx37
December 11th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Thats a good point. Thanks. I'll try it for a little while and see it if fixes it. It's a shame to have to turn compiz off though.

firestormx37
December 11th, 2008, 11:19 PM
version 1.6.0_07

otc242
December 12th, 2008, 12:06 AM
had that problem in hardy, however in intrepid it works ok... also worth of mention is "workarounds > java window fix" in compiz config settings manager.