PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sneak Peak - New System76 Gazelle Ultra Coming Soon

crichell
December 11th, 2008, 09:16 PM
We're very excited to introduce the newest member of our laptop family... the Gazelle Ultra. The most striking feature is Ubuntu's “Circle of Friends” emblazoned across the top of the 13.3” LED backlight display... of course the specs are top notch too.

Gazelle Ultra
13.3” LED Backlight Display (1280x800)
Latest Intel CPU's
Intel X4500HD Graphics
Webcam
Fingerprint Reader
4.4 lbs.

Check out the photos below. As always we'd love to hear your feedback.

Release date... tomorrow.

Tart
December 11th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Can I trade in my "old" gazelle to get this one? :-)
I really like the way new model looks.

Ian9056
December 11th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Wow, that really looks great. Hopefully when I see the specs it won't make me regret my recent Pangolin purchase...

DeadSuperHero
December 12th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Gosh, that looks amazing. It looks so much more stylish compared to the Macbooks those "artist" kids have at my school.

I'm saving up for this thing. If you will have it available from now (Launch) past my graduation (May), then I'll definitely find the funds and time to pay for such a great-looking laptop.

Could either be a Christmas or Graduation present for myself...

crichell
December 12th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Prices, specs, and more photos are up now.

http://system76.com

http://system76.com/gazelle

It's tough to tell from the photos but the palm rest is brushed aluminum.

eddietours
December 12th, 2008, 06:51 PM
wow so nice am saving for this one

mpow
December 12th, 2008, 10:21 PM
The 'emblazoned', which is a word I have never heard before, logo looks amazing on this thing. If I needed a new laptop, this would be it. Talk about standing out in a crowd.

weverjames
December 12th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I think the idea is good, but I do not about the execution.
I am concerning about the quality of that logo.
Is it water and scratch resistant?
The system 76 logo in my gazelle value peeled off itself and now it looks ordinary.
I am in the market for a new laptop and I want to know how the previous gazelle value compare to this new one in terms of the case, weight and portability. I would like something more portable, but still with a good screen size (13"-14").
Is there any reason why you don't sell laptops that have hinge. I haven't had a laptop with hinge, but I have read that they are supposed to last longer. Is that true.
Third question, I was impressed with the fast boot of the eee pcs with linux. I thought it was cause they have a SSD. Would the choice of SSD in your laptops give me that fast boot and performance?

Post data: only an ubuntu loaded laptop is a option for me. That's how I like linux now.

crichell
December 12th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I am concerning about the quality of that logo.
Is it water and scratch resistant?

Over the last four months we've worked to drive Ubuntu laptop quality to a new level. The logo is applied using the exact same method used to paint a car... with a hardened clear coar applied on top. Water and scratch resistent. The logo isn't going anywhere nor will it fade or loose its luster over time. Right now the laptop is hanging out at the Ubuntu Developer Summit. I'm sure we'll hear first hand accounts from folks out there.

I would like something more portable, but still with a good screen size (13"-14").

This Gazelle Ultra fits right in there at 13.3" and 4.4 lbs. More specs and details at http://system76.com/gazelle

I haven't had a laptop with hinge, but I have read that they are supposed to last longer. Is that true.

by hinge you are referring to a latch at the front of the laptop?

Would the choice of SSD in your laptops give me that fast boot and performance?

Currently we offer one very high end SSD from Intel. It is a screamer with noticeable performance gains. I haven't had the pleasure of playing with the at length but I hope to soon.

jdb
December 13th, 2008, 02:37 AM
The 'emblazoned', which is a word I have never heard before

I hadn't either.

To deck in glaring colors; to set off conspicuously; to display pompously; to decorate.
[1913 Webster]

jdb

val67
December 13th, 2008, 02:41 PM
No FIREWIRE port ???

weverjames
December 13th, 2008, 05:01 PM
my godness! Is it true?
Huge downside.
I will have to look at something else to buy. I need to have wired access to internet in case that wireless access is not possible.
Any other options, people:
Anyone has experience with zareason, linuxcertified or avadirect?

jdb
December 13th, 2008, 05:12 PM
my godness! Is it true?
Huge downside.
I will have to look at something else to buy. I need to have wired access to internet in case that wireless access is not possible.
Any other options, people:
Anyone has experience with zareason, linuxcertified or avadirect?

It does have an Ethernet RJ45 port for wired access.

Firewire is a high speed port for connecting to a device such as a video camera, it's not as prevalent as it used to be since the introduction of high speed USB.

jdb

AusIV4
December 13th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Looks pretty nice.

I'm hoping to get a couple more years out of my old Gazelle, but it's good to see that S76 is staying with the game.

thomasaaron
December 15th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Yes, it has an ethernet port for wired connectivity.

DeadSuperHero
December 15th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Out of curiosity, does this ship with Coreboot? Do you have any plans to support it in the future?

If not, is it possible to put Coreboot on this? How doable is it?

thomasaaron
December 15th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Out of curiosity, does this ship with Coreboot?

No.

Do you have any plans to support it in the future?

We are aware of coreboot, and our R&D department is keeping a close eye on it. I'm sure we will start integrating it in the future.

No, idea, but I would not recommend trying it at this time. If you hose your computer with it, it would not be covered under warranty.

jdb
December 15th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Out of curiosity, does this ship with Coreboot? Do you have any plans to support it in the future?

There's a FlashromLiveCD being developed by coreboot.org

When it's released I'm going to give it a try on one of my old desktops & if it goes OK, then on my main desktop (what the heck, worst case is a new mother board :)

I don't think I'll be trying it on my Daru2 though, I'll let someone else go first :lolflag:

jdb

Chandon
December 15th, 2008, 10:17 PM
How's the keyboard on this?

How bad is the glare compared to other glossy screens?

thomasaaron
December 15th, 2008, 10:29 PM
The LCD is a standard glossy screen.

Here's a pic of the keyboard...
http://system76.com/popup_image.php?pID=89&image=5

It's a nice size, the keys are solid and snappy.

soleblaze
December 16th, 2008, 01:11 AM
What's the battery life on this notebook? Any other system76 systems planning on being released in the next two months or so? (Read a bit that y'all may also have a netbook device coming out soon?)

weverjames
December 16th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Some questions:
-Can it be ordered without the ubuntu design in the case? For job reasons, I have to have a professional-looking laptop. For that reason I have been considering ordering exactly the same system from avadirect.com , that offers the standard case.
-How good is the clevo case? I was dissapointed by the quality of the case of the last gazelle value. I think it was the only weak point of that laptop. I would like me next laptop to be sturdy (you don't want to put almost 2k dollars in a matches box that wont last!). What make was the case of the last gazelle value?
-Does everything work out of box (Y/N):
1. suspend/hybernate?
2. finger printing?
3. Blue tooth ? (do you know any blue tooth mouse that works 100% with this laptop?). I never could make my gazelle value to work with my logitech blue tooth mouse (yes, I paid for the bluetooth option)

ReelExterminator
December 16th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Looks pretty sweet! Any chance the Intel 5300 wireless card will be available as for the Darter?

thomasaaron
December 16th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Probably not. But the 5100 is a fine card. There is no lack of performance with it. It is just built for machines with two antenna wires (as opposed to three, which is necessary for the 5300).

openprivacy
December 18th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Looks very cool. My desktop's running 64bit Linux but my aging laptop is a 12" Mac Powerbook. I was looking at the new Macbooks but now I'm reconsidering.

A tricked out (4GB RAM, 320 GB disk, 2.53 GHz, 25 watt, + extra 8 cell battery, 3 year warranty) Gazelle Ultra is about $150 less than a similar Macbook after a 15% f&f discount - not a lot, but something to consider. Funny, but the biggest thing I think I'd miss on the Macbook is the magsafe power plug - a great design.

Two questions:

Regarding the 3 year "limited" warranty. I normally don't buy these, but for Macs it's the way to go as they really cover your *** when you've shelled out for that. I looked on the system76 site but I couldn't find details. Do they cover expedited shipping costs should I need to return the unit? What all is covered?
Can I do standard updates via the update manager and eventually update to e.g. 9.04 when that comes out, or does that void the warranty?

Thanks!
=Fen

thomasaaron
December 18th, 2008, 07:38 PM
1. Regarding the 3 year "limited" warranty. I normally don't buy these, but for Macs it's the way to go as they really cover your *** when you've shelled out for that. I looked on the system76 site but I couldn't find details. Do they cover expedited shipping costs should I need to return the unit? What all is covered?

http://system76.com/article_info.php?articles_id=15

2. Can I do standard updates via the update manager and eventually update to e.g. 9.04 when that comes out, or does that void the warranty?

Yes you will be able to update. It won't void your warranty. The System76 driver will provide any necessary bug fixes.

weverjames
December 18th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I need to know if:
-fingerprint works in the gazelle ultra
-if bluetooth works (if so, do you know a mouse that would work out of box?)
-hybernate/suspend works.
-how bulky are the drivers?

thomasaaron
December 18th, 2008, 08:20 PM
-fingerprint works in the gazelle ultra

Yes. Remember, though, that biometrics is still being integrated into Ubuntu, so the software is still experimental. But you can use it for logging in, etc...

-if bluetooth works (if so, do you know a mouse that would work out of box?)

Bluetooth works. But I can't really recommend a mouse. I'll leave that to the community.

-hybernate/suspend works.

Yes.

-how bulky are the drivers?

I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean the size of the driver package, it is about 1.4 MB, I believe.

openprivacy
December 18th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks for all your answers!

I haven't found any third-party reviews yet - do you know of any? My last concerns are:

The screen; LED-backlight is great tech, but does it look as good in sunlight as e.g., a Macbook?
Battery life; what can one expect with the 4-cell battery? 8-cell?
Does the 8-cell fit entirely inside or does it stick out?

Update: one more question:
Are there three buttons? At least two? (I don't like tap pads - if that's enabled, can it be disabled?)

AusIV4
December 18th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Bluetooth is a protocol, and Ubuntu has a standard implementation. It's plausible that there are bluetooth adapters that wouldn't have drivers for Linux (I'm not aware of any), but bluetooth devices like mice will use the standard protocol, and are agnostic of the OS on the computer.

Personally, I haven't bought anything other than Logitech mice for years. I'd recommend them for being good mice, but if you're just looking for something that works with Linux, any bluetooth mouse should do.

weverjames
December 18th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I am interested in battery life, too.
Does the 8 cell battery create a protuberance in the laptop, that is not limited to the size of the laptop case, or cause any increase in the thick?

thomasaaron
December 18th, 2008, 09:13 PM
The 4-cell will provide approximately 2hr. The 8-cell will provide approximately 4 hrs.

The 8-cell does protrude about an inch from the back of the machine.

openprivacy
December 18th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Are there three buttons? At least two?

I don't like tap pads - if that's enabled, can it be disabled?

openprivacy
December 18th, 2008, 09:40 PM
-How good is the clevo case? I was dissapointed by the quality of the case of the last gazelle value. I think it was the only weak point of that laptop. I would like me next laptop to be sturdy (you don't want to put almost 2k dollars in a matches box that wont last!). What make was the case of the last gazelle value?

We might have to wait for some third-party reviews for this. One of the big selling point for Thinkpads and (ahem) Macbooks is the build quality...

BTW: I didn't see any 13" laptops on the Clevo site, so maybe this isn't a Clevo...

thomasaaron
December 18th, 2008, 09:43 PM
It has two buttons. I don't know if tapping can be enabled or not, but it probably could.

My test machine is out for review, but when it gets back I can check that one out further.

weverjames
December 18th, 2008, 10:07 PM
it is the same as the Sager NP7350, that is based in a clevo M7#$.
You can check it in www.sager.com and in some retailers like http://www.xoticpc.com/ and avadirect.
I do not why but asus chasis seems to be more solid/refined. Unfortunately they come loaded with windows.

openprivacy
December 18th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Hmmm - while the CPU has a 1066 MHz bus, the memory bus specs are "4GB DDR2 667/800MHz" (http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7350-built-clevo-m735t-p-2537.html) - does that mean the CPU is not going to be able to run at top speed? (Apologies if my tech knowledge is lacking...)

sgsong
December 21st, 2008, 09:40 PM
We're very excited to introduce the newest member of our laptop family... the Gazelle Ultra. The most striking feature is Ubuntu's “Circle of Friends” emblazoned across the top of the 13.3” LED backlight display... of course the specs are top notch too.

Gazelle Ultra
13.3” LED Backlight Display (1280x800)
Latest Intel CPU's
Intel X4500HD Graphics
Webcam
Fingerprint Reader
4.4 lbs.

Check out the photos below. As always we'd love to hear your feedback.

Release date... tomorrow.

Would it be possible to get rid of the Unbuntu logo?

thomasaaron
December 22nd, 2008, 07:37 AM
Not at this time.

sgsong
December 23rd, 2008, 05:13 AM
Not at this time.

I would like to suggest another type of the 13.3 laptop with much smaller logo, like those found in most "business" laptops.

thomasaaron
December 23rd, 2008, 06:32 PM
Thank you. I'll pass that on to R&D.

weverjames
December 24th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I guess you are interested in a professional looking laptop with the ubuntu logo, like in this web page:
http://www.clevo.fr/index1.html
I think that one is better looking!
I hate to be the one that started the stampede, but I just got my sager NP7350 from: http://www.xoticpc.com/, wich is the same as the gazelle ultra, and is working with ubuntu 8.10 w/o problems. In case somebody wants to save money (I saved 350 dollars!), ubuntu did recognized everything without need of other drivers.
However, if you don't feel like installing ubuntu yourself in a laptop, I recommend system 76.

crichell
December 24th, 2008, 01:31 AM
System76 is currently the only company in the world licensed to use the Ubuntu logo on its commercial laptop products.

Specific hardware support additions made by system76 are webcam, fingerprint reader, and internal mic support. All of this work, of course, is open source and will make its way into the distribution. System76 also funded development of the fingerprint reader driver which is the same hardware we've seen in almost all laptops over the last year.

sdellysse
February 28th, 2009, 11:34 PM
System76 is currently the only company in the world licensed to use the Ubuntu logo on its commercial laptop products.

Don't get me wrong, you may have nice, pre-setup ubuntu laptops, but it seems like a croc of youknowwhat to say that you are the only company that is able to use it on your laptops. referring to http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy, it says nothing about commercial licensing of the logo.

jdb
March 1st, 2009, 12:00 AM
Don't get me wrong, you may have nice, pre-setup ubuntu laptops, but it seems like a croc of youknowwhat to say that you are the only company that is able to use it on your laptops. referring to http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy, it says nothing about commercial licensing of the logo.

Well I just went ther & this is an excerpt:

Restricted use that requires a trademark license

Permission from us is necessary to use any of
the Trademarks under any circumstances other
than those specifically permitted above.
These include:

Any commercial use.

jdb

Malimbar04
March 4th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Unfortunately I'm not in the market for a new laptop yet (loving gadgets is one of the most expensive hobbies). If I were to get one though, I'd definitely go with system76. One of the major reasons is the ubuntu logo permanently on the front. It's a good logo, and instantly separates it from competition. I assume they already have permission from cononacal. It's so important to me in fact that I'd go with teh gazelle over a bigger system specifically for the logo. It puts me as part of a classy group of ubuntu-lovers.

Of course, like I said, I can't vote with my wallet for a few more years though, so *shrugs*.

adamc55
June 13th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Two questions:
1) How quiet is it?
2) Why can't I just buy the 8 cell battery, rather than a primary 4-cell (junk) and an 8-cell extra?

thomasaaron
June 13th, 2009, 04:30 PM
1) How quiet is it?

Depends on how hard you push it. All in all, I'd say it is reasonably quiet, but when the fan kicks up, you can hear it.

2) Why can't I just buy the 8 cell battery, rather than a primary 4-cell (junk) and an 8-cell extra?

Because the we get the chassis with a 4-cell and have to purchase the 8-cells separately if someone requests that option.