PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What exactly do the two side buttons do on the Serval Performance 4 Laptop?

SilverDragon
December 11th, 2008, 08:10 PM
According to this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5668808

There are two different ideas about what the usb symbol with the lightning bolt does. One person says it is the
Power USB' button, which supposedly makes high-powered devices (think iPod's or something that charges) get more mA than the usual 100mA, when using the left-side USB ports

but another person says
On my panv3, the USB/lightning bolt button allows you to charge USB devices (phone, mp3 player) without turning on your computer. When I press it, the button lights up (orange) and the device starts charging (I think I've only used it once, but it's nice to know the feature is available). It appears that it is supposed to do the same on the serp4:

I have noticed the usb symbol with the lightning turns orange when I press it when my laptop is off but it doesn't seem to always seem to charge my iPod. I am going to test it with someone else's iPod because my iPod is old though (Blue iPod Mini)

Well I guess this is just a long way of asking what do these buttons do?

thomasaaron
December 11th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Those descriptions are correct. However, we've not tested them.

SilverDragon
December 11th, 2008, 08:53 PM
So the the USB symbol with the lightning bolt does both? I am not sure if the USB symbol with the lightning bolt puts out more power when the laptop is on because it does not light up.

I am also still not sure what the S with a plug button does at all.

Vadi
December 12th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Are you sure you're on 4? I think you're on 3 like me, because I have an 8600m gt too. 4 is the last one, and has a 9800M or a quadro card.

thomasaaron
December 12th, 2008, 04:23 PM
The current model is the SerP5.

Vadi
December 12th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Oh. That clears it up then