PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] IPhone replacement suggestions

madhatter84gn
December 11th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I am beginning to transition completely to Linux when my new T500 arrives the day before Xmas. I currently have an IPhone non 3G (only have it because it was given to me by a sales rep back before the rule that you had to sign up for an ATT plan). Well with the transition to Linux I have been reading a lot on the fact that ITunes does not work. I am looking for some suggestions from users to replace the IPhone with a device that is similar and will work well. Any suggestions would be good.

Kobalt
December 11th, 2008, 03:46 PM
What are your needs : regular phone? mobile internet device? Do you need to access internet, email, etc?

madhatter84gn
December 11th, 2008, 03:53 PM
All of the above. I would like access to e-mail, regular phone capabilities, internet access, and the ability to play music on the device.

Thanks

Kobalt
December 11th, 2008, 03:59 PM
There are many options then... In order to play well with Linux I'd pick a Symbian OS based device (meaning a Nokia). Or a G1 with Android...

fishman78
December 11th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I am beginning to transition completely to Linux when my new T500 arrives the day before Xmas. I currently have an IPhone non 3G (only have it because it was given to me by a sales rep back before the rule that you had to sign up for an ATT plan). Well with the transition to Linux I have been reading a lot on the fact that ITunes does not work. I am looking for some suggestions from users to replace the IPhone with a device that is similar and will work well. Any suggestions would be good.

Don't know if this will help you, but iIunes will work with Virtual box 2.0.6 I am able to sync my iPhone through a virtual box VM running windows XP. You should give it a try.

madhatter84gn
December 11th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Fishman,

Thanks for the suggestions, but I am trying to leave Microsoft for good, except for at work of course. I am trying to find a device that I can use on the AT&T network with the same functionality as the IPhone, but I don't want to be tied to Mac or Win

Technoviking
December 11th, 2008, 11:07 PM
The Android G1 sync very nicely with Banshee. It is a good choice for Linux.

teknotuck
December 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
G1 Android also syncs and works very well with Amarok.

nhasian
December 22nd, 2008, 05:50 PM
might i recommend holding off till T-mobile unveils their Android G2 phone on January 26th

http://androidcommunity.com/tag/t-mobile-g2/

teknotuck
December 25th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Doubtful there is a G2 coming out. Much more likely but still doubtful before very end of January (more likely q12009) is the next update for the G1 which will be based on Cupcake, this was released earlier this month. Cupcake is the development branch, not a release at this point in time of Android.