PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Asked to enter password twice

trvrlol
December 11th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Ok so when I originally installed Ubuntu I was able to login with just one password for sudo and at the login screen but currently I am asked to enter it twice and cannot figure out why. I have googled every pair-up of words I can think of to try and find the answer but I simply cannot.

Ok to describe the problem I am asked to enter the password twice at the login screen even if I know for sure that the first password was truly the correct one. (I enter it once, press "Enter" and it goes blank asking for it again.)

This also happens when I try to use sudo, it asks for the password twice even if I know for sure that the first one was really the correct password and it is asking for it again for no one reason whatsoever.

Also I am not able to use any program where it asks for the admin password such as Synaptic Package Manager. I am forced to update through the CLI using sudo apt-get.

I really would like to get this solved and any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-trvr

Michael.Godawski
December 11th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Interesting...

When you enter it twice does the application like Synaptic run without problems or crashes?

I am thinking about reseting the sudo password and creating a new one but do not know if this would help us...

trvrlol
December 11th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I am able to login and use sudo after entering the password twice but I cannot use synaptic of anything else. After entering my password in it just hangs and then they close.

hyper_ch
December 11th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I think it first asks for the password manager. Have a close look at what you enter the password for.

trvrlol
December 11th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by what you mean. It just asks me to enter the administrator password which is my account's password.

trvrlol
December 12th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Anyone have any ideas? I'm not sure what files I should upload or output that might help solve the issue so just let me know. =]