PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] drupal

blairm
December 11th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Hi,

My workplace (a newspaper) uses Drupal for it's website - which I sometimes have to run for extended periods - and I'd like to learn a bit more about it.

Ideally, I'd like to get a version working on one of my machines so I can play round, but there's a couple of things I'm not sure about...

i) Do I have to have a server install to run Drupal? At this stage wouldn't be looking at hosting anything on the net, but several of the how-tos I've read say the package should be installed on a webserver.

ii) Do I need to learn at least the basics of php? Some sites say I do, and others say I don't.

iii) I've read the learning curve for Drupal is pretty steep; that's OK, I don't expect to learn it overnight. But is anyone able to provide some recommendations for good sites/books to help me on my way?

Thanks,

Blair

binbash
December 11th, 2008, 02:08 PM
1-you can install LAMP(apache, mysql, php) on your machine and use drupal
2-If you want to edit the drupal code, yes you need a little.

hyper_ch
December 11th, 2008, 04:35 PM
(1) you can simply install apache, php, mysql. Easiest way:

sudo taskel

(2) you don't know to "learn" php to install drupal. However you must setup it right (meaing permissions and mysql-db and configuration of paths). It's not "that" hard when you've done it a few time, however the first time it probably will take some time :) If you encuonter problems, just ask.