PDA

View Full Version : Cancel a commad in a script

b-boy
December 11th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Hi

Is there a way to Cancel a command in a running script without ending the script itself?

tdrusk
December 11th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Hi

Is there a way to Cancel a command in a running script without ending the script itself?
I am not very experienced in scripting, but you could ask a question before you execute that part, then throw in an if statement for that command.

davidbilla
December 11th, 2008, 07:42 AM

If the command is already running, you can check for the process id (pid) of the command and kill it.

You can do something like this.

procid=`ps -C <prg-name> -o pid=`
if test -z $procid
then
#Process not running
else
kill -9 $procid

To do that outside the script

$ procid=`ps -C <prg-name> -o pid=`
$ kill -9 $procid

b-boy
December 11th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I am not very experienced in scripting, but you could ask a question before you execute that part, then throw in an if statement for that command.

I dont think that will work

let me give more info

my script has a for loop with once command inside so when the command is executed ok it goes to the next one but if there is a problem it just hangs as it is waiting for a response no when this happens i just want to cancel this command and let the loop go to the next command

dwhitney67
December 11th, 2008, 11:19 AM
If you have a script that hangs, then perhaps you should focus your attention on that script so that your second script would not need a workaround.

The suggestion offered by davidbilla would work, however it does not solve the root of the problem that you are having.

Also, using a '.' to terminate a sentence is golden. You should consider using it sometimes!

b-boy
December 12th, 2008, 06:55 AM
If you have a script that hangs, then perhaps you should focus your attention on that script so that your second script would not need a workaround.

The suggestion offered by davidbilla would work, however it does not solve the root of the problem that you are having.

Also, using a '.' to terminate a sentence is golden. You should consider using it sometimes!

ok i will try