PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should the CD to install be a CD-R, not a CD-RW?

Adamantus
December 11th, 2008, 04:53 AM
I installed Ubuntu 8.04 through a professional CD I got from a magazine and updated to 8.10. But 8.10 hasn't been working too well for me, so I wanted to go back to 8.04. I would use the professional CD again, but it only has the 32 bit on it, and I wanted to try the 64 bit version.

I've tried burning quite a few times (with multiple distros), every time checking the hash. The installs always seem to freeze or mess up though. Is this because I always use a CD-RW? Should I try CD-R's?

Shwefty
December 11th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Maybe somebody below me might correct me, but I don't think it should be a problem...but heck, worth a shot!

More likely: Burn the cd at the lowest speed possible. And, when booting from the cd, always first check the integrity of the disc by the Check CD for Defects or whatever option.

Adamantus
December 11th, 2008, 05:01 AM
The problem is that a lot of the times it won't even get to that screen, and, if it does, any time I click on anything it will freeze (other than 'boot from hard disk').

Shwefty
December 11th, 2008, 05:06 AM
That is odd. One thing you could do is check to see if you can boot off your professional cd at all. If you can't, it's a drive problem as it has worked before (or computer view drive problem or...you get the idea).

If not, heck CD-R's couldn't hurt. If you have a spare 1 GB flash drive you could try Unetbootin (.exe for Windows or the Linux equiv.). For Linux you have to add it to the repos before you can download Unetbootin.

Or, just go here: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

But, that's if you have a 1 GB flash drive (or 2 or more) that you don't mind formatting.

handydan918
December 11th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Actually, I have heard of multiple cases where the use of a cd-rw at least appeared to be the culprit. I always recommend against using a cd-rw in favor of the single-use medium, and use a high quality one, too. No point in saving 13 cents and driving yourself nuts.

Perkins
December 11th, 2008, 08:15 AM
In my experience, some drives will boot and run properly from a CD-RW, and some will not. It can also depend greatly on the brand of CD-RW. Some brands work with some drives, and some work with other drives, and some don't work at all.

Personally my guess is that the BIOS/Bootloader don't always necessarily have the brains to figure out how to deal with an RW disc. Try a CD-R

kerry_s
December 11th, 2008, 09:21 AM
cdr is suppose to be the best, but i been using cdrw for ages. i think the most important thing is to burn slow 4x to get the best results.

xjcannonx
December 11th, 2008, 09:52 AM
When in doubt use CDR

HavocXphere
December 11th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Rewritable worked for me in the past. As long as the checksum is cool it shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe 8.10 will work better for you if its a clean install and not an upgrade?