PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Apache2 help

Gregz
December 10th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Have all the apache2,php,sql downloaded and if I go to local host I get IT WORKS. Now I have problem with this:

To create a new site:

Copy the default website as a starting point. sudo cp /etc/apache2/sites-available/default /etc/apache2/sites-available/mysite

Edit the new configuration file in a text editor "sudo nano" on the command line or "gksudo gedit", for example: gksudo gedit /etc/apache2/sites-available/mysite

Change the DocumentRoot to point to the new location. For example, /home/user/public_html/

Change the Directory directive, replace <Directory /var/www/> to <Directory /home/user/public_html/>

You can also set separate logs for each site. To do this, change the ErrorLog and CustomLog directives. This is optional, but handy if you have many sites
* Save the file

I'm not real sure on the change document root????

gksudo gedit does not work all I ever get is blank pages. (found this out doing my nvidia set-up). So I use sudo nano which does work.

I'm very new to this so please bear with me here

Ubuntu 8.10 server
G

cdenley
December 10th, 2008, 06:40 PM
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

DocumentRoot /var/www/
<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
</Directory>
<Directory /var/www/>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>

"gksudo gedit" works for me. What version of ubuntu are you running?

gksudo gedit /etc/apache2/sites-available/default

Gregz
December 10th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Thank you, I don't see how I missed that :oops:. Working now. Also gksudo working now... It did'nt when I was trying to get my nvidia card working. Strange....

Also in the {Set mysql bind address} is this where I set my laptop and other pc to connect to it.

Is there a good guide on how to setup Joomla with apache2 ?

As in downloading to apache??

Gregz
December 11th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Ok, I have all up and running I think, BUT I cannot run this test. I try and make script and when I go to "save as" it says I don't have permission.

Thats is trying copy paste...

Once you have completed the necessary installation of your server software it is worth running a quick test to
ensure that all the necessary, minimum requirements are met.
Warning!: Remove the phpinfo.php file from your Web root as soon as you have the necessary
information. Leaving it in situ is a security risk. Your Joomla! installation has a built in version of the same
script in the Help Menus for future reference.
You can do this very simply by creating a basic PHP script:
<?php
// Show all information
phpinfo();
?>
Save this as phpinfo.php for example, and save the file to the root of your Web site, then simply enter the
address of your Web site into your browser as follows: http://www.yourdomain.com/phpinfo.php or
http://localhost/phpinfo.php and you should receive a detailed summary and state of all the PHP compilation
options and extensions (such as the Zlib, XML, and MySQL modules), the PHP version in use, server
information and environment (if t is compiled as a module), the PHP environment, Operating System version
information, paths, master and local values of configuration options, HTTP headers, and the PHP License.

mbeach
December 11th, 2008, 03:31 AM
its been awhile since I installed joomla, but for the most part I suspect you need to take ownership of the files (or at least the documentroot).

so lets assume your username is greg, and that the joomla document root is /var/www/joomla
you might want to run something like

sudo chown greg:greg /var/www/joomla
then try to create your phpinfo file in that folder.

also not sure if you've completely settled on Joomla just yet, but a nice up and coming cms (imo) is concrete5.
http://www.concrete5.org

Gregz
December 13th, 2008, 12:07 AM
actually need to mv cofig php-dist to config php

don't quit understand that but ok.

also it's installed but can't access it something with php as stated above